Discussion: Guv Candidate Spent A Total Of $35 To Grab 22% Of The Vote

Discussion for article #229892

Love this! There should be a franchise in every state.

3 Likes

Fred Tuttle did it first. He even won the GOP primary to face Pat Leahy that year.

Of course, Tuttle did it so that he could stop the carpetbagger who the GOP put up against Leahy, but still…

I guess this makes a cute story, but as a Rhode Islander, I am pretty sick of hearing about Bob Healey. One thing this article (or hardly any of the press) mentions is that he’s a far right Libertarian. He didn’t take campaign donations from anyone, so I congratulate him on coming by his horrible ideas honestly. He conned a lot of liberals in Rhode Island into voting for him with his “holier than thou, I’m above the political process” schtick, but very few of them had any idea what he actually stood for. I was not surprised at all that he pulled in 22% of the vote, only relieved that he did not manage to swing the election to Republican Allan Fung.

5 Likes

I guess another $35 for a haircut and beard trim with a $10 tip could have given him 45% of the vote.

1 Like

What do you like? The “rogue” element? Check the guy out. He’s a nutcase with horrible right wing ideas.

1 Like

Ahh, sorry to hear that. What I liked was the idea that someone could buck the money that’s poisoning our electoral process. A sickening amount of it gets spent every cycle. Of course, the very un-libertarian idea of publicly funded elections is the best way out.

1 Like

Cripes, what does it take to make a simple comment around here… I had to add this stupid sentence to get the following line posted…

VERY COOL!

“It’s amazing what $35 can do," he told local station WPRI on Wednesday. “As I’ve been saying, if we only spent $75, $80, we might’ve won the race.”

The Kochs should sit up and take notice… but there may be some logic to his madness.

You can do a lot of campaigning in a state like Rhode Island for $35 because it’s small with some very dense population centers. In a larger state or one with more dispersed populations, you’d not be able to replicate this on the same budget.

1 Like

See what good SEO can do?

2 Likes

For years I have been an advocate for a “None of the Above” option. The problem comes when “None” wins the majority of the vote.

That is all ye need to know about Rhode Islanders.

Actually, considering how they were massively outspent in dark money, the democrats can use something like this as an excuse to block everything the Republicans try to do.

“They may have bought their way into Congress but that doesn’t mean they can buy their way into making laws.”

Have you read Bob’s platform? He’s not hardcore libertarian. Healey is libertarian-ish, particularly with his views on social issues. However, he’s just a fiscal conservative. He doesn’t want immigrants kicked out (like Republicans), he wants welfare modified but not suspended, and wants strongly for public schools to stay public. One of his main economic policies would’ve been a statewide teacher contract, where the schools are funded with the income tax as opposed to the property tax, given that the high taxes on the latter aren’t great for enticing businesses and they overly burden families. What gives you the impression that he’s a whacky libertarian? If he was, there’s no way I would have voted for Healey.

“And as my grandmother used to say, if you burn your butt, you sit on blisters.”

And, as mine said, “Once a dick, always a dick.”

Thereby giving a massive tax break to wealthy communities who will demand their privileged spawn be afforded the luxuries to which they’ve grown accustomed, utilizing the tax contributions of lower-income families, perhaps the most non-progressive assessment method.

Okay. I wouldn’t disagree necessarily. Explain why it’d be a massive tax break for wealthy communities. Of course, even the notion of wanting public schools makes Healey a non-hardcore libertarian. Just read the views on the Libertarian Party’s official website - absolute insanity.

What did he spend the thirty five bucks on?

If people actually listened to him, they’d be horrified. He might look like Jerry Garcia, but he sounds like Ron Paul.