Discussion: GOPer On Trump's Transgender Ban: 'Everybody' Should Be Able To Serve

1 Like

It’s something new.

Every. Fucking. Day.

13 Likes

Statement: “I’m sure we’ll have hearings on that in the Armed Services Committee and also in the defense appropriations committee.”

Translation: “As a Republican, I can’t say it, but holy fucking mother of god is the President a fucking idiot.”

9 Likes

I know of two facts that cannot be disputed:
1.) The transgendered people in the military are greater Americans and more patriotic than anyone in the Trump family has ever been, especially Donald himself and his heroic elephant-killing sons Eric and Donnie Jr., and
2.) There are a helluva lot more transgendered troops than there were people at Trump’s inauguration.

13 Likes

I don’t really think this came from Rump originally. I think it came from Bannon / Miller / Pence. They’re thinking this will shore up their base (which is shrinking) and split Dems. A bad choice that stinks of desperation.

4 Likes

The only explanation I can offer is that Richard Shelby knows someone in the military that’s transgender, or knows a transgender person in his personal life. These kind of statements coming from the a true rightwinger don’t happen by accident or on a whim. Sadly, unless it touches a Republican personally, they generally (almost exclusively) don’t have much compassion for anyone outside their little hermetically sealed world. I have a hard time believing Shelby is all about “everybody” serving. I like what he said, just consider me suspicious, or a bit of a cynic. After he reviews “the wording”, I’m sure he’ll come up with a plausible defense of tRump’s warped worldview on this matter.

Or…Maybe the shine is finally beginning to come off that golden turd in the White House…and this is really what this is about. Now that, I can buy.

7 Likes

Just out of curiosity, have any of you GOP Fukkers ever tried standing up to him with ANY seriousness? It. Is. Time.

4 Likes

What gets me about this is that there are two intersecting universes, an entirely unserious one in which Trump operates and a serious one in which the rest of us have to deal with the consequences of what our kindergartner President has taken it into his head to do in the last five minutes. I look at headlines like “Trump Bans Transgender Americans From Serving in the Military” and all I can do is shake my head.

4 Likes

Donald “Bone Spurs” Trump is an ignorant coward. Sad!

2 Likes

And yet…“new” is finally getting old, if you know what I mean.

Everybody should be able to serve’ is the nice, coherent, self-contained sound bite that is almost impossible to argue with in like rhetorical terms. The hand-wringing about distractions, and cost of potential hormone treatment, and so on, even if they weren’t bullshit, are wordy, nuanced arguments. Wordy, nuanced arguments always start off as a losing position when facing a clear and cogent sound bite.

Once upon a time, the Democrats were the ones who kept falling prey to bad messaging of this sort, adopting complex messaging that could be parried rhetorically with a simple, direct statement. And yet “everybody should be able to serve” is about the most obvious and predictable response you can imagine.

If only the White House were able to find a communications director, maybe they could avoid walking into an own-goal situation like this :slight_smile:

1 Like

When even Orrin Hatch, a man so conservative and “so anal-retentive he can’t sit down for fear of sucking up the furniture” (H/T: Patsy Stone, “AbFab”), starts defending transgendered people, you know Trump’s latest Twitterama to distract from his Putin love affair is going over with a thud. Who is he going to attack next, former POWs? Oh, wait…

4 Likes

And the fact that the Pentagon was caught entirely unaware was almost the most predictable thing ever. Of course he didn’t actually talk with any representatives of the military. Of course he didn’t! I would have been shocked if he did, and so would you.

7 Likes

Shelby may be thinking if Trump presumes to arbitrarily dictate policy on this military matter what stupidity of a far larger, more critical, potentially deadly area of policy might Trump stumble into. Maybe the Armed Services Committee drawing a line or making an issue of this now would serve notice everyone needs kept in the loop and such decisions need more deliberation than Trump has accorded this bungle.

6 Likes

I actually believe he did talk to the upper echelon in the military: the ones that live in his earwig-eaten brain, along with Paris-hating friend Jim.

3 Likes

Bingo. Pence has been working on this for a while with the House to defund the surgeries.

3 Likes

You can say a lot of things about the stupid motherfucker, but you can never say he’s boring.
I really wish we could, though.
Remember that guy…what’s his name?..“No Drama”…something or other…

“You’ve got to remember, our military forces is a volunteer force,”
Shelby said on CNN. “So I’ll have to see what he’s actually said, read
his tweet and go from there.”

Shelbys problem in a nut shell. "If we want to keep our never ending wars going
we need every last human we can get and can no longer be “picky”.

3 Likes

I think @brooklyndweller is right that this came from the Bannon etc. gang and is meant as a distraction, but the lack of preparation or thought, the throwing-stuff-at-the-wall quality, the flailing about is pure Trump. He doesn’t care any more about the actual policy than would a five-year-old playing with toy soldiers. It’s just fun and playtime, just fantasy, like pretending to drive a big grownup fire engine.

6 Likes

If we had a draft, Eric and Donnie Jr. would be on their knees in public begging to give head to any available soldier so they could try to avoid serving. It’s in the Trump male DNA, like their Vitalis-generating hair follicles.

3 Likes