Discussion: GOP Rep. Says Syrian Refugees Just Want A 'Paid Vacation' In The US

Discussion for article #243111

“…free health care, free food, free shelter, free clothing, free transportation,”

Probably the same thing his ancestors said about their slaves.

26 Likes

“Give me your tired, your poor… Ah, what am I saying? F**K you, I got mine!”

15 Likes

Personally I don’t believe Hell exists. If I’m wrong it certainly was designed for the likes of Brooks, Carson and Trump.

8 Likes

Where does the GOP get these people?

1 Like

Brooks is right. As he went on to point out, “The Chinese character for “refugee” is also the character for “paid vacation.””

3 Likes

A taxpayer paid vacation is what these idiot GOP reps are on…

13 Likes

TPM:

Rep. Mo Brooks (R-AL) on Friday suggested that Syrian refugees are just trying to come to the United States for a “paid vacation,” noting how much the federal government spends to resettle refugees.

“We’re paying them about $15,000 a year in free health care, free food, free shelter, free clothing, free transportation,” Brooks said

Hey, Moron, the US has the lowest welfare benefits of any first world country. If Syrian refugees want free healthcare, free shelter, free clothing, and free transportation, why the hell would they come to the US, which is more than 3000 miles further away from their home country than any European country with more and better benefits?

Edited to Add:

Brooks also argued that Islam is a violent religion that inspires terrorists …

Make up your fucking mind, asshole. Are they coming here to kill us or party with us?

19 Likes

Oh for God’s sakes, where do the Republiclans find all of these grade-school dropouts???

2 Likes

Passing by a mirror?

2 Likes

Okay, Alabama has spoken.

Look at the guy behind him, madder than hell about - what? These jackasses have never heard the word compassion, even though they claim to be Christians, especially since they themselves essentially created the horror show in Syria which has caused this refugee crisis. This country should open its borders to 100,000s refugees, at minimum. And we should go get them and bring them here ourselves - dream on. Europe should tell Obama “go to hell, we’re not playing with you anymore - look at the mess you cause Syrian people and Europe, while Amerika skates on all of its responsibilities, and laws”. No courage at all among any European politicians either, same as here, sold out slobs all of them.

2 Likes

Good example of AmeriKan style Southern Hospitality. Perhaps these refugees are just following Jesus, who himself was a refugee.

1 Like

before he whines about a free paid vacation he should take a look at the House ‘work’ schedule…

11 Likes

Did Larry and Curly have any additional comments to add?

1 Like

Precedence:

In 1958, Wallace ran in the Democratic primary for governor. Since the 1901 constitution’s effective disfranchisement of the state’s blacks, and most poor whites as well, the Democratic Party had been virtually the only party in Alabama. For all intents and purposes, the Democratic primary was the real contest at the state level. This was a political crossroads for Wallace. State Representative George C. Hawkins of Gadsden ran, but Wallace’s main opponent was state attorney general John Malcolm Patterson, who ran with the support of the Ku Klux Klan, an organization Wallace had spoken against. Wallace was endorsed by the NAACP. Wallace lost the nomination by over 34,400 votes.

After the election, aide Seymore Trammell recalled Wallace saying, "Seymore, you know why I lost that governor’s race? … I was outniggered by John Patterson. And I’ll tell you here and now, I will never be outniggered again."

In the wake of his defeat, Wallace adopted a hard-line segregationist stance and used this stand to court the white vote in the next gubernatorial election in 1962. When a supporter asked why he started using racist messages, Wallace replied, "You know, I tried to talk about good roads and good schools and all these things that have been part of my career, and nobody listened. And then I began talking about niggers, and they stomped the floor."

***Racism, xenophobia, misogyny, homophobia. Time honored, battle tested strategies for rallying U.S. citizens to your side.***
4 Likes

Right. Just for their five week Summer vacation, they’re paid about $16,000.00 based on their $174,000.00 annual salary.

2 Likes

Mo Brooks’ stupidity and callousness is staggering.

2 Likes

Ignorant hateful shitkickers: you can find them everywhere in our great land, but they don’t grow 'em any more ignorant or hateful than down in Bama. And yeah, it’s no coincidence that they’re thickest wherever high school football is a life-consuming obsession among adults.

4 Likes

$174,000 base pay=$3,346 per week.

The HoR will be in session 132 days this year, or about 27 five-day weeks. Generously assume the equivalent of 10 weeks spent in constituent affairs. That leaves each congressman with about 15 weeks of paid vaca, worth about $50,200 before taxes.

And Brooks lectures us about paid vacation?

8 Likes