Discussion: Gillibrand On Calling For Franken To Resign: 'Enough Was Enough'

Gillibrand is trained as a lawyer, surely she would never allow a client to be railroaded based on alleged accusation. A simple apology for her exploitation of the me-too rabble would have sufficed. What is that Jewish proverb about digging two graves?

4 Likes

She is my Senator and I feel divided. Long before KG lobbied her colleagues to call on Franken to resign, her nickname among her staff was “Rachel Flick,” because even then she was effortlessly ruthless. Franken would probably resigned even without KGs push; for good reason he didn’t want to go through a death of a thousand cuts. If there were a couple of groping incidents Franken might have survived. But not eight. And unfortunately there is no middle ground between resigning and not resigning. As a father of sons and daughters I don’t have a problem with KG invoking her son and in fact these are the conversations we parents have been and need to have with our kids.

But again: Rachel Flick; her brazen ambition, opportunism and ruthlessness. She seems to believe in everything, and nothing. It’s hard to see her as the nominee but she is one tough pol and of course if she is the nominee I look forward to her cutting Trump’s balls off. (Harris and Klobuchar can also do that; Warren cannot. I am getting to really like Harris.)

I don’t see a lot of folks here who blame Gillibrand for Franken’s actions and resignation. Just for kicking him when he was down. Took away his options. To throw in “as if he has no personal agency or responsibility” is farcical and insulting. Nobody said that. I see people blaming her for HER actions.

Not only young Dem women, but ANYBODY would find what you describe as absurd. Young Dem women are no better, smarter, moral, or infallible than old Dem women or young Dem men. Or old Dem men. Gillibrand is in the big leagues now. She stepped into the arena and struck a pre-emptive blow. Against her own team. If she pays a price for doing that, or gets bopped in the nose in the process…it isn’t misogyny. Its called the big leagues.

15 Likes

It’s not okay just because it’s someone you like. Period.

1 Like

It is still politics. It isn’t kindergarten. It is the Senate where the history is you don’t even knife a Senator from the other team. You let them implode, you let the investigation come to it’s end, but you don’t go after each other or the other’s integrity.

And this is still politics. We aren’t going for sainthood here. If she wanted to be champion against misogyny there were plenty of real slimes to go after. If her bag of scalps contained plenty of RWers and one Franken…that might be different.

You say you can’t let someone off the hook just because you like them…but that appears to be her only foray into the field and it was an Own Goal.

5 Likes

The problem of his sexist, juvenile and oppressive behavior is nobody’s fault but his own. I like the guy, personally, at least in his senate years. But Gillibrand, a member of half the population that has to live within that oppressive system, never quite able to relax due to vigilance against predatory behavior even from men that they consider allies, said enough was enough and she couldn’t defend him anymore. And I respect that. She’s right.

2 Likes

You obviously haven’t informed yourself on the Franken accusations. Too bad for you and your comments.

3 Likes

You are talking like Gillibrand was a victim of Franken’s. Or like she was the judge and had to make a tough call. All she had to do was NOT knife, and dispatch, a fellow Dem senator. I don’t disagree with your moral points, and am agreement on the matters of sexism. But this wasn’t some purity test or Glee Club. This is hardball politics at the highest level, and THIS Dem did not appreciate having one of our stalwarts dispatched so easily…especially while watching R Senators sitting in the majority who have done much worse.

Somebody decided Al wasn’t going to get an ethics investigation, and even though Al said the words…I believe the decision was not his or his alone.

7 Likes

I’ll offer this thread for you to read as it closely tracks with my own thinking. If you read this and still think Gillibrand is deserving of blame, then we probably aren’t going to agree.

2 Likes

Bull Shit Gillibrand. You shot first and are now trying to aim. Your quick and easy attack on due process and justice disqualified you from holding any office of honor or trust in the United States.

5 Likes

Thank you. I was not aware that Schumer had advised Franken to resign before KG said anything, so this is useful information. I still maintain without either Schumer or KG saying or doing anything that Franken would have resigned. He might have survived a couple incidences, but not eight. And he wasn’t going to put his wife through that special hell.

3 Likes

I’ve had this discussion with Dems, even female Dems who remain furious with Gillibrand (who groped no one!) and I simply say, “You either believe women, or you don’t, and I do.”

3 Likes

I’m stunned by the Franken-stanning and selective outrage here! I’m surprised no one has asked “What the women were wearing at the time?”

Do you Gillibrand haters REALLY BELIEVE that any investigation wouldn’t have turned up MORE groped women? Stunning naivete, imo.

Examine your crypto-misogyny people, ladies too! Sen. Handsy had NO ONE to blame but HIMSELF! Attempting to tie this in to a Senate vote?? Are you freaking kidding!? Why not ask if Franken had grabbed Sen. Gillibrand’s ass in the cloakroom? For all we know she is graciously leaving that part out!

4 Likes

The Onion predicts she will withdraw in February 2020.

But defended Big Tobacco which has helped kill people. So, there’s that.

2 Likes

Really weird given how fast she started running away from her own agency in this matter.

2 Likes

Neither is ruthless and ill judged ambition whether or not you like her. She has a history as a weathervane with an inability to imagine the emotions of other people unless directly involved in the situation. Her explanation for her turn around on guns is that she didn’t get it until she actually met an inner city parent who lost a child.

4 Likes

Yep. Since quite a number of the accusations against him are flimsy – what pray tell is the Biblical distance for selfies? – not to mention the ways in which Tweeden’s account is suspect. – let’s invent a nonexistent offense against Gillibrand herself about which she – noblely? – remained silent.

Franken was able to see the ways in which his joke photo with a sleeping Tweeden was offensive to her right to her own agency despite her own propensity for raunchy jokes on stage during her tour in skits that had nothing to do with him. He gave true apologies. Nothing he did deserved a political death penalty which Gillibrand was for.

7 Likes

Excuse me? You expect us to admire an unthinking belief in Tweeden? The women I believe are the fifty or so female staffer who had worked with him.

8 Likes

No, you either believe one particular woman about one particular instance, or you don’t.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available