Discussion: Gillibrand On Calling For Franken To Resign: 'Enough Was Enough'

"the 9 women who came forward with allegations were all to just be ignored? "

From whence did that horseshit come?

Seriously. Where the duck fid you get that nonsense?

Being asked to give testimony is the opposite of being ignored.

But, since you know what went down, I look forward to seeing your sworn statements about all 9 episodes.

Oh for crying out loud!

1 Like
1 Like

Gillibrand is currently the least attractive Democratic candidate, IMO. She comes across as a chameleon and a political opportunist. While political opportunism is in itself not a sin, we don’t need chameleons. You never know when they’ll change their colors. She started out as a blue dog to win her Congressional seat, and then allegedly morphed into a liberal. I don’t buy it.

As for Franken, the Democrats don’t have anybody, and I mean anybody, who could publicly eviscerate Trump as quickly, profoundly and expertly with wit, and still keep the large majority of the electorate laughing and enjoying the experience. Ridicule absolutely crushes Trump. Franken would be extremely helpful as a campaign spokesman for a candidate, but he can’t debate Trump now. It’s a pity.

1 Like

Kind of Democratic version of Romney.

1 Like

No one was ignored. If anything short circuiting the process denied these women a chance to establish the truth of their claims, which was very dubious. Your suggestion without evidence that there were surely more says much about your sense of fairness. I think you would condemn Franken for being male and allow him to stand proxy for every bad act of every man rather than being accountable for his own actions.

Now, that’s just silly.

2 Likes

Maybe grown adult man Al Franken should have kept his hands to himself and made better choices. Gillibrand was right to call on him to resign and Al Franken was right to bow out.

Gillibrand is absolutely correct: we cannot have one standard for the people we like and another for the ones that we do not. 75% of the people screaming on social media about her treatment of Franken were the same people screeching about how we must believe women during the Kavanaugh hearing. We cannot – and should not – have it both ways. Either we believe women or we don’t. Either we hold men accountable for their actions or we don’t.

Al Franken was accused by eight separate women, so where’s the line? How many need to step forward before we believe that Gillibrand did the right thing?

2 Likes

No, you simply disagree with me. Our opinions are not facts.

2 Likes

Hurray! You just posted what I was already thinking I would need to post. Very nice.

If you would like to argue the relative and substantiable merits of our respective beliefs, we can do that.

1 Like

Brett Kavanaugh is, and will remain, a Supreme Court Justice. That is not my opinion, it is fact.

1 Like

How many people need to accuse Senator Gillibrand of wrongdoing, before she must resign?

Sounds like a standard, right? Should apply uniformly, if that’s the case.
So, what is the number?

1 Like

If you’re attempting to conflate “asking a grown man to step down due to his own personal failings” with groping and/or sexual assault…good luck!

Al Franken chose to resign of his own free will. Senator Gillibrand didn’t have the unilateral power to force him to step down; she was joined by dozens of her Senate colleagues in making her request. Franken wasn’t entitled to due process or any of the other nonsense people are screaming about because he chose to resign on his own.

I asked about the standard. Sorry if that was not clear.

You wrote that we cannot have one for people we like and another for people we don’t like.

For what it’s worth, my 93 year old father, a New Yorker, watched the Gillibrand announcement and said, “Nah, she’ll never make it, but Elizabeth Warren–she’s got energy!”

Stooping to guilt-by-association now that your hatchet job on Franken has been exposed? Not even Republican character assassins implied Franken had done ANYTHING remotely comparable to RAPE.

Let’s hear you identify those “eight separate women” you insist we should believe without question. Let’s see you verify they actually exist, that they’re actually women, and that they’re not Republican character assassins recruited by the likes of Roger Stone.

Umhm…and you like the results?

Politicians are human. When you get politically stabbed in the back by your former allies, you quit.

One thing I have never heard speculated about. Did Gillibrand ever talk with Franken directly?

Keep on digging that ditch, Kirsten

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available