Discussion: Gillibrand On Calling For Franken To Resign: 'Enough Was Enough'

I mean Sen. Warren

Good luck with this argument! I thought it would be the overwhelming observation (it is also mine), but we are the enemy now!

My mom was corralled, glared at and ultimately groped by a popular fellow teacher at the high school where they taught. She was in her 50s at the time and had never before faced this workplace abuse. Although it did not go beyond a few feels, grabs and gropes, she still felt powerless and traumatized. Since he was so popular she realized a formal public by-the-books grievance would make her the enemy of a “good guy and family man”. See now? Probably not.

3 Likes

You seem to think getting Franken to resign absent a thorough investigation advances the cause of stopping the behavior and I think having done so irreparably harms it.

C.f. Associate Justice Fratbro Opusdei

2 Likes

I fervently hope her campaign quickly crumbles into dust. The prospect of choosing to vote for this opportunistic shark or an even bigger opportunistic shark with a terrible comb over is more than I can bear to contemplate.

No, none of that is relevant at all to the rage and anger directed at Gillibrand. Franken’s a grown man, he can figure it out. I don’t think calling out bad behavior is bad. People, especially women don’t take kindly to gropers, grabbers and inappropriate touching. You see there is this new thing called the “Me too” movement…

The resolute determination to not blame the person doing the unwanted groping (unless they are Republicans. See: Bob Packwood ) is eye-opening. I’m cool if people disagree with me, it makes the world go 'round.

3 Likes

wow the comments section here are so disappointing. I don’t see Sen. Gillibrand winning the nomination, but she was not wrong in the least to call for Franken to resign (along with every other woman in the Senate it should be noted). how are people still hung up on this? the 9 women who came forward with allegations were all to just be ignored? Franken didn’t have to resign, but he did. Gillibrand is not some all-powerful being who controlled his thoughts and actions, he just realize the jig was up and bowed out before even more and worse things came out. the women who came forward were certainly not the only women he mistreated. we need to be better than the right wing on this issue for f’s sake! when one of our own screws up as badly as Franken did, they’ve got to go. period.

4 Likes

Thank you for your reason and clarity!!!

1 Like

You are mistaken.

"the 9 women who came forward with allegations were all to just be ignored? "

From whence did that horseshit come?

Seriously. Where the duck fid you get that nonsense?

Being asked to give testimony is the opposite of being ignored.

But, since you know what went down, I look forward to seeing your sworn statements about all 9 episodes.

Oh for crying out loud!

1 Like
1 Like

Gillibrand is currently the least attractive Democratic candidate, IMO. She comes across as a chameleon and a political opportunist. While political opportunism is in itself not a sin, we don’t need chameleons. You never know when they’ll change their colors. She started out as a blue dog to win her Congressional seat, and then allegedly morphed into a liberal. I don’t buy it.

As for Franken, the Democrats don’t have anybody, and I mean anybody, who could publicly eviscerate Trump as quickly, profoundly and expertly with wit, and still keep the large majority of the electorate laughing and enjoying the experience. Ridicule absolutely crushes Trump. Franken would be extremely helpful as a campaign spokesman for a candidate, but he can’t debate Trump now. It’s a pity.

1 Like

Kind of Democratic version of Romney.

1 Like

No one was ignored. If anything short circuiting the process denied these women a chance to establish the truth of their claims, which was very dubious. Your suggestion without evidence that there were surely more says much about your sense of fairness. I think you would condemn Franken for being male and allow him to stand proxy for every bad act of every man rather than being accountable for his own actions.

Now, that’s just silly.

2 Likes

Maybe grown adult man Al Franken should have kept his hands to himself and made better choices. Gillibrand was right to call on him to resign and Al Franken was right to bow out.

Gillibrand is absolutely correct: we cannot have one standard for the people we like and another for the ones that we do not. 75% of the people screaming on social media about her treatment of Franken were the same people screeching about how we must believe women during the Kavanaugh hearing. We cannot – and should not – have it both ways. Either we believe women or we don’t. Either we hold men accountable for their actions or we don’t.

Al Franken was accused by eight separate women, so where’s the line? How many need to step forward before we believe that Gillibrand did the right thing?

2 Likes

No, you simply disagree with me. Our opinions are not facts.

2 Likes

Hurray! You just posted what I was already thinking I would need to post. Very nice.

If you would like to argue the relative and substantiable merits of our respective beliefs, we can do that.

1 Like

Brett Kavanaugh is, and will remain, a Supreme Court Justice. That is not my opinion, it is fact.

1 Like

How many people need to accuse Senator Gillibrand of wrongdoing, before she must resign?

Sounds like a standard, right? Should apply uniformly, if that’s the case.
So, what is the number?

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available