Discussion: Fox News Host On Melania: 'No Other Modern First Lady Has Been Treated Like This'

It’s probably impossible to raise kids whose heads are screwed on right when parents travel in the circles they do, people jumping to attention when they appear, and a sense of self entitlement grabs hold early and stays.

Somehow, the Clintons, the Obamas, the Carters, and I daresay even the Nixons managed it.

I would not have taken a teaching job at either of two “elite” private schools in SF - didn’t want to deal with “those” parents or their entitled kids. Only a few are pills, according to my friends who do teach at those schools, but “a few” is too many for me.

2 Likes

In all fairness, I was familiar with the phrase before Lee Ermey made it famous…

Maybe the difference between the presidents you mention including Nixon was that none were filthy rich when they were making their political careers and raising children. And in fact came from backgrounds which were not at all affluent.

1 Like

When we’ve privately messaged did I not use my name? If I didn’t I will next time.

I think he was looking at Ivanka who grinned back at him. Mel was just an intruder on a father and daughter moment.

According to Fire and Fury

Wolff paints a bleak picture of the first marriage. The author claims Trump called Melania a “trophy wife” and took pleasure in bedding the wives of his friends.

1 Like

I was thinking of life in the White House, where people jump to attention when they or their parents appear; limos, chefs on duty 24/7, etc…

2 Likes

Doublethink. It is Republican voters’ patriotic duty to believe everything their state-sponsored telescreen tells them, regardless of what their past experience might otherwise say. Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.

2 Likes

That’s gotta hurt :wink:

Language is peculiar. My wife uses the word bitch frequently: to describe friends (I flinch slightly) or to
describe herself if she has overdone things (at which point I’ll say don’t you dare call yourself that).

But while I don’t feel comfortable with the word bitch or its connotations, I’ll use the term son-of-a-bitch without compunction, and if someone’s complaining has too much of an edge, I’ll respond ‘what are you bitching about now?’ Consistency is out the window- the only guideline that works for me is don’t punch down.

3 Likes

and that is a mighty fine creed. I’ll just say that I’ve stopped taking all the little snips and, god help me for using this term - micro aggressions - for granted. Why isn’t it called “resting bastard face”? Men get just as jowly.
Why is complaining termed 'b—" -ing - men complain just as much. You get it. So as people within an ethnic community may use slang or racist terms amongst themselves, it is not right if someone outside that community does so.
although sunuvabich was my father’s go to swear and I find myself using it once in a while when driving!

1 Like

Fair point. Language certainly is sexualized, and most of that is misogynistic. Yikes.

1 Like

I began to notice some time ago that many slurs used against men have a misogynistic base. Bitch, and son-of-a-bitch, mother-f*er; bastard (illegitimacy due to the waywardness of the mother).

I try to use the more or less neutral ones - jerk, asshole, asshat, jackass, idiot, plain f*er, dumbass …

2 Likes

Need a longer list.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available