Discussion: Former UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan Dies At Age 80

1 Like

This is an informative article about a quintessential diplomat. Two passages that I found most interesting:

“I think that my darkest moment was the Iraq war, and the fact that we could not stop it,” Annan said in a February 2013 interview with TIME magazine to mark the publication of his memoir, “Interventions: A Life in War and Peace.”
“I worked very hard — I was working the phone, talking to leaders around the world. The U.S. did not have the support in the Security Council,” Annan recalled in the videotaped interview posted on The Kofi Annan Foundation’s website.
“So they decided to go without the council. But I think the council was right in not sanctioning the war,” he said. “Could you imagine if the U.N. had endorsed the war in Iraq, what our reputation would be like? Although at that point, President (George W.) Bush said the U.N. was headed toward irrelevance, because we had not supported the war. But now we know better.”

“In his memoir, Annan recognized the costs of taking on the world’s top diplomatic job, joking that “SG,” for secretary-general, also signified “scapegoat” around U.N. headquarters.”

18 Likes

Thank you U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan, for your service to the World! May you forever Rest In Power!

7 Likes

Truly one of the first citizens of the world, and in the best sense of that idea. I’m sure President Obama used him as a model and a source of inspiration, and hope we’ll hear a few words from him in that regard.

5 Likes

Yep, his heart broke seeing the USA spiral into the Trumpian abyss…

2 Likes

A life selflessly lived. Altruism is such a rare trait these days.

1 Like

Kofi Annan had stature and dignity that our present “leader” can never ever hope to get anywhere near. We need more like Mr Annan in this world. He brings great renown to the country of his birth, Gambia.

1 Like

It’s so hateful and stupid for the fake puny potus hasn’t acknowledged the recent loss of U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan.

Poor sick boy refuses to put on his big pants :jeans:on to act “presidential”!

So damn sad!