Discussion: Five Days On, NRA Still Mum On Report Of Russian Money Probe

FTFY - rub their noses in it…

4 Likes

Long time between butt hurts …

Glad the suppositories are working —

3 Likes

Holy water to Vampires!

A lot of people are saying that the Russians used the NRA to funnel money to the Trump campaign.
I sure hope the NRA can produce documentation to refute this charge.

4 Likes

For cosmetic purposes only.

That’s true: they do serve the arms manufacturers. But if they were the NRA’s only masters, I’d argue it was inappropriate and highly risky for them to participate in this Russia scheme.

I realize their mandate was to get Trump elected (though perversely sales do much better with a Democratic President as a bogeyman), but this should have been beyond the pale for them. I haven’t looked it up, but I can’t imagine US gun manufacturers do significant business in Russia.

I believe they’re a radical group that have gone way beyond their initial mandate. After all, there are red state Dems who largely support NRA policies and would welcome NRA monies. But approximately 99% of NRA contributions go to Republicans. This imbalance doesn’t really make sense, except to say the NRA is part and parcel of the Republican Party.

4 Likes

I think we are past that. They will try, but I have noticed that there seems to be little traction. They can shut it down, but the questions left will be provocative and with effect. But I do agree, the NRA is a bigger deal, a lynch pin. There is this feel that scrutiny is getting focused. Over the last week, it seems the White House and their minions have been dancing like ants on a frying pan. Nunes is operating in almost panic mode. Sessions has now been interviewed.Somebody is going to jail eventually.

1 Like

Well you can bet it is more than just the NRA. Since Citizens United every big conglomerate donor has been used by some foreign country, business to funnel money to sway our political process.

1 Like

NRA was just about to fire back, when suddenly…

4 Likes

And yesterdays TX shooting. Doubke disrespectful

They’re getting awful commercials ready in response.

2 Likes

It’s a good general rule of thumb to assume most of the time that anything a Republican or right-leaning group is accusing Democrats and/or liberal leaning groups of doing is almost certainly projection and something they’re guilty of themselves. It works almost entirely without fail every time.

12 Likes

I think you’re onto something here.

6 Likes

And here I thought at the very least we’d have been treated to some tweet-screeds from that loudmouthed harridan Ammosexual Barbie.

Could the NRA and Stormy Daniels bring down the Trump Presidency? Hmmm.

6 Likes

Yes, but now it’s Global Browning that they consider the world’s worst existential threat.

5 Likes

LOL…that right there is a master class in wry understatement.

3 Likes

Be interesting to see involvement with Russia take down Donald, the republican party and the NRA all in one fell swoop…oh sweet jesus!

4 Likes

“Five Days On, NRA Still Mum On Report Of Russian Money Probe”

On advice of their attorneys that they very much need.

3 Likes

Josh’s comment on this (visible to us Prime Members!) includes this:

If ‘We’re Totally Not Russia’ (WTNR) LLC comes to the NRA dark money entity and says they want to contribute $20 million, I don’t think the NRA has any affirmative responsibility to ask what or who WTNR LLC is or where it gets its money.

I’m not so sure. The relevant law provides that you can’t knowingly accept a donation etc from a foreign national. Then:

1. Knowingly means that a person must:

i. Have actual knowledge that the source of the funds solicited, accepted or received is a foreign national;

ii. Be aware of facts that would lead a reasonable person to conclude that there is a substantial probability that the source of the funds solicited, accepted or received is a foreign national; or

iii. Be aware of facts that would lead a reasonable person to inquire whether the source of the funds solicited, accepted or received is a foreign national, but the person failed to conduct a reasonable inquiry.

So actual knowledge of the foreign source is not required. Constructive knowledge is sufficient. You can’t turn a blind eye. Then this:

1. For purposes of paragraph (a)(4) of this section, pertinent facts include, but are not limited to:

i. The contributor or donor uses a foreign passport or passport number for identification purposes;

ii. The contributor or donor provides a foreign address;

iii. The contributor or donor makes a contribution or donation by means of a check or other written instrument drawn on a foreign bank or by a wire transfer from a foreign bank; or

iv. The contributor or donor resides abroad.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available