Discussion: Family Feud Sparks Revolt At Grocery Store Chain

Discussion for article #225545

This is a really interesting story. I can only wish my employees would be so loyal.

I suspect the employees are worried Arthur S hired a competitor’s executive and some guy from Radio Shack to run the grocery chain-- that should be a big clue. My guess is he is looking to unload the chain probably to the competitor. I mean Radio Shack isn’t exactly a model of retail success. Under the circumstances their jobs are on the block anyway. The Arthur T is apparently a grocery store guy and clearly wants to keep things going.

4 Likes

Try being more like Arthur?

3 Likes

I’ll try.

2 Likes

WTF? How many cities, towns and leglislators does Mass have???

The chain has stores throughout New England.

1 Like

What a nice compliment to Arthur!
Here’s a leader who has evidently been good at his job. His employees and customers both recognize it, too.

There’s tons of data to suggest that 2/3 managers are incompetent.
Nice to see on of the 1/3 getting recognition.

I suspect this store is seen only as some asset to be dumped for a quick profit. In 6 months it will be ruined.

1 Like

FYI there are 351 municipalities in MA. Many with a Market Basket! :wink:

This is a strong regional chain, with deep customer (and worker, obv) loyalty because of consistent low prices and good quality – this year, Arthur T. instituted an across-the-board 4% rollback of prices, for example. The company has no debt and owns most of its real estate. In other words, it could be easily liquidated, and that’s what workers fear – where would their good wages and amazing growth opportunities go? Many other local chains are going under, and Wegmans, WF and TJoes are making deeper inroads.

3 Likes

Some of the speculation I’ve heard was the new board is considering selling off some of the more valuable real estate, but those are locations where gentrification is destroying existing communities and the lower prices mean more.

2 Likes

Too bad Arthur T. didn’t own Sprawl-Mart.

I’m 56, too old to go back to the private sector. I know my District would like to replace me with a younger employee…after all, aren’t all Web programmers supposed to be, like, 19?

Bottom line, if I didn’t have the protection of my union, I’d probably be delivering pizzas because it’s all a middle-aged guy can get, and living on food stamps, perhaps even housing assistance, which the taxpayers would pony up.

Why again do unions cost the taxpayers money?

2 Likes

Wrong.

But then you’ve apparently swallowed the conservative lies so that isn’t too surprising.

Always wrong, always unAmerican…it’s the conservative way!

This is not an anti-union story. It’s about a privately-held family business owner who believes the mission of his company is to provide a good living for workers, a good value for customers, and a good partner for communities. DMB pays above average wages, pays out quarterly bonuses, matches 401K contributions AND sells quality groceries at lower prices AND donates millions of dollars to local charities. As a result, employees, customers and community leaders are standing up to support the status quo and resist the move to a “shareholders first” mission. I don’t even shop there, but I hope they succeed.

4 Likes

The Massachusetts Legislature is formally called The General Court of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. There are 160 members of the House and 40 Senators – 200 legislators in all. They meet, according to their Constitution, every 72 hours in formal or informal session all year long. Now you know why their forebearers were called the Minutemen :wink:

1 Like

I am so glad this story is finally getting national attention. The employees are putting it all on the line, to preserve their company and the commanding market share they have. What the new CEO’s underestimate is the customer base, and how loyal they are to the MB employees. There are a lot of choices in New England for groceries. Folks are protesting with their wallets. If this is not resolved soon they will lose more than public image. They are losing millions.

1 Like

The only two major grocery stores in my town are Market Baskets. It’s a pain to have to head into New Hampshire to find another place to do my shopping, but I believe in what these folks are doing. I just hope that other people who work for companies that treat their employees badly, cough WalMart cough, see what’s possible when the worker have the guts to take control.

Market Basket has locations in Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire, also.