Discussion: Ex-Staffer Left MSNBC After Accusing Chris Matthews Of Sexual Harassment

You can buy a shit-ton of falafel for 32 mil and still have money left over for loofahs.

1 Like

Haha, I never thought of that way. But one of clues I picked up was that his nickname here is Tweety, and I realized a serious newsman simply doesn’t have a nickname. Except for Uncle Walter.

[quote=“valgalky23, post:62, topic:66456”]
Oh…dear…did I just harass him?
[/quote] I don’t know if this rises to the level of harassment but it’s certainly a verbal boner.

1 Like

That nickname did not originate at TPM. It was bestowed upon Matthews behind his back by his own staff at MSNBC.

I got it from Wonkette

LOL, indeed!

40,000? That’s nothing to them. I have a friend who paid this much to a disgruntled employee who accused him of firing her without cause, or something similar. He said she was horrible … basically would not even show up for work, but it was cheaper to pay her off than to fight her charges. So, long story short, this could be abso-friggin nothing.

A lot of this shit is nothing.

Backlash is coming. More and more of this shit is nothing. Or if its something, it is so trivial and idiotic that people just roll their eyes.

Sometimes, people are offended because they are snowflakes. With some people it’s impossible to not offend them. They come pre-offended.

Really? Didn’t know that. So the staff’s not crazy about him either.

I love all of Jim’s films but Ghost Dog and the soundtrack by the RZA is one of his tightest and best movies. The soundtrack is too wonderful.

But yeah Jarmusch makes such interesting and good movies and Forrest may have turned in my favorite performance in that role - just the way he walks as Ghost Dog kills me. I love him too.

1 Like

Are you trying to arouse me? :wink:

Count me in on the heads up for anything you do, Plucky.

I think your approach might be the key to maintaining sanity during the Trump era - Matthews talks over people too much and I prefer the analysis from people younger than me these days (Rachel Maddow, Joy Reid, Chris Hayes) - I do look forward to reading the book about Bobby Kennedy (when my wife finishes it).

1 Like

Nothing would please me more than to see this sputtering gas bag get shown the door.

He’s not exactly in the younger cohort but Lawrence O’Donnell explains it all to my satisfaction. He spent years in the senate working for late Senator Moynihan D-NY. He was also writer and producer of the one political show everyone needs to watch The West Wing to see how it looks backstage at the WH. This prez would never watch it, takes to much for someone who’s impatient. I started the Bobby Kennedy book by Matthews, and I’d recommend it.

Here’s a mental exercise for all the guys here. When you want to insult some (deserving) person, can you do it without a metaphor of receiving sex*? Why do you have an attitude that folks who “receive” sex are degraded?

These statements help create an environment that is hostile to women, and gay men, too.

i.e. “bend over and take it” “he is Putin’s *holster”, “… in mouth…”

2 Likes

Not sure i follow. I think it would be the opposite, actually. That might be just me, though. Being a man might affect my perspective on that.

On second thought, while i’m sure this is a good and necessary conversation to have for a wide number of reasons, i’m quite sure i don’t have any resolute answers to offer on this topic. For a whole lotta people, this entire subject is TMI. Vulnerabilities abound.

1 Like

One aspect of the huge catchall called sexual harassment is making the most sensitive person in the workplace the threshold for all banter and behavior. Anything that could conceivably offend someone must be expunged and punished. I’ve had women say things to me that would get a man instantly fired. Today we’re looking at sexual assault and some pressures to provide sex getting conflated with office banter and otherwise harmless chit chat.

Lehrer: One funny ass guy. I’m going to look for a CD or you tube.

1 Like

I don’t know Plucky. I have my own sordid past too :slight_smile: But seems to me that we need to take our slice of the redemption pie the wingers seems to own so well… As one term Georgia congressman Ben Jones (Cooter from Dukes of Hazard, brutally redistricted out of office) said during his term “There was a time when I spent 90% of my money on booze and women. The rest I just wasted!” In today’s environment things that might have been a scandal in the past? Not so much…

At last! There’s another woman join in in saying sexually explicit comments have no place here because they do in fact amount to sexual harassment, and I personally am not going to stop responding to it. I’ll wait for “thread nanny” to be hung on me before too long. Moderators don’t seem to care, but there’s some growing resistance to it among some people. But you should know that @tsp based on my conversations with him is maybe the only man here who understands what it is we object to and tries to avoid crawling into the muck.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available