Discussion: Ex-Intel Official: Haspel At 'No Fault' In Destruction Of Waterboarding Tapes

1 Like

He says she drafted a cable ordering the tapes destroyed, but it was her boss who issued it.

So she was just following orders. Okay. Also, first torturer I’ve ever seen wearing a floral print blouse.

14 Likes

“Donald Trump’s nominee to be the next CIA director was cleared of wrongdoing years ago in the destruction of 92 videotapes showing terror suspects being subjected to waterboarding and other harsh interrogation techniques.”

I understand Dick Cheney kept a copy of the tapes, “Just to watch with family every year during the holidays”.

18 Likes

Well yeah, she just drafted the memo. After overseeing the torture herself, who else would do it?

9 Likes

4 Likes

If this flies, we owe an apology to the defendants at Nuremberg.
“Just following my orders!”
Befehl ist Befehl.

17 Likes

Okay, but what about the actual, you know, torturing part? No sign anybody cleared her of involvement in that nasty stuff…

9 Likes

I understand Dick Cheney kept a copy of the tapes, “Just to watch with family every year during the holidays”

I’d thought Dick’d accidentally erased them trying to hit replay while he and Haspel were binge watching the series.
Well, it’s good to know the evidence has been preserved. Now, will their recovery be allowed if it’s going to disrupt a Cheney-family holiday ritual? Might that not violate their right to equal protection?

4 Likes

What happens the next time she’s ordered to draft a cable, “ordering the tapes destroyed”?

7 Likes

You could say that about a lot of war criminals tried at Nuremberg.

5 Likes

The tapes could have been retained for training purposes. The fact that they were not is a clear indication that the torturers were fearful of prosecution. The worry that al Qaeda would see the tapes is groundless. Precisely under what circumstance or condition would an al Qaeda operator see these tapes?

7 Likes

If Rodriguez could disrupt her moral compass to that extent, just imagine what working with Trump would do.

14 Likes

So much for “personal responsibility,” that key conservative virtue. Whitewash.

14 Likes

Exactly. We hung Germans after WWII for waterboarding resistance fighters in places like France and Norway. Oops, I guess.

8 Likes

IOKIYAR

That acronym has been around for over a decade, and it’s still fresh.

3 Likes

Asking the CIA to investigate itself is no different than appointing a board composed of corporate CEO’s to recommend an appropriate salary for another corporate CEO.

You pretty well know what answer you are going to get from the outset.

I call bullshit.

4 Likes

“The enhanced interrogation torture program was a legally fallaciously authorized program and our government had the responsibility to protect provide cover for the CIA officers who courageously enthusiastically came forward to participate in it."

Edited for accuracy.

6 Likes

“Hans - are we the baddies?”

4 Likes

That’s all irrelevant.

It’s torture, Morell. If Haspel did nothing to stop it, did nothing to expose it, did nothing to leak it or bring it to the attention of people who could stop or expose it, if she abetted covering it up and destroying evidence in any way, even if she was “only following orders”, she is still just as guilty as anyone who ordered or carried out torture. Read the treaties and conventions on torture. Hell, read the 8th Amendment - which, by the way, applies to ALL people, not just citizens.

What do you not get about that? It’s torture, Morell, and it should automatically disqualify Haspel from any continuing position in the government. Neither Haspel nor anyone else associated with torture should be nominated to higher position in the government - they should be in jail. Period.

10 Likes

Possibly. Although the point here is that she was ordered to. That’s not courage. That’s subjugation.

But with the destruction of the tapes, we can continue to imagine ourselves to be the country we are not. What was the service performed again?

Torturing defenseless and possibly innocent human beings?

Oh, conservatives counter, these were nasty, evil people. You have to be crueler to them than they are to you. Really? Nastier and more evil than a people led by a monster who wonders why we don’t kill entire families in their own country?

2 Likes