Discussion: ESPN Commentator: Jones Shouldn't Be Punished For Anti-Michael Sam Tweets

Discussion for article #222673

DERP: “I’m of the mindset that there is freedom of speech. People have the right to say what they feel. And if there are ramifications for it, so be it.” Isn’t that a really good description of exactly what happened?

7 Likes

I agree. Shaming, ridiculing and embarrassing them is a lot more fun.

5 Likes

Steven,even without your comment guess what ?

"Selected by the St. Louis Rams with the 249th pick of the 2014 NFL draft, the SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Year’s jersey is already outselling the overwhelming majority of rookies who were drafted.

According to Cyd Zeigler of OutSports.com, Sam’s No. 10 Rams jersey is the second-best seller among rookies, the first being Johnny Manziel of the Cleveland Browns."

Rush LImbaugh was fired for making the same sort of comment. This guy obviously doesn’t want to work in sports media any longer. I suppose he could always get a job as a cheerleader for religious liberty?

Smith as usual has no ideal of what he’s talking about, listening to this guy talk would be more lethal than water boarding.

Limbaugh was “fired” for making WHAT sort of comment? Smith said that he supported Sam, but thought fining someone who tweeted a different opinion was a bad idea. Personally, the Miami Dolphins player probably was fired for being so clueless as to say something controversial after everything that went down last year. But, again, when, exactly did Limbaugh get “fired” for ANYTHING he’s said over the last 25 years?

Why is no one at ESPN ever suspended or fined for comments critical of Cleveland?

1 Like

Just imagine if a white player had reacted to a black player kissing his white girlfirend by tweeting “OMG” and “Horrible.” The internet would be set ablaze and the player would be, appropriately, fined and punished.

The question is at what point do we treat homophobia the same as we treat racism? That’s not an easy call. On the one hand, we need to acknowledge that the world is quickly evolving on the issue and that we do not want to alienate the middle by overeacting. On the other hand, it’s important to send the message that holding homophobic views is so unacceptable, that they should never even be uttered publicly.

1 Like

I honestly do not think that many people understand freedom of speech. It protects people from the government retaliating against someone because of what they believe. Mostly meant as a control, so that opposition would not be punished.

A company has every right to do whatever it sees fit, as Smith said. There can be backlash to words and actions., and there would be. Otherwise, racist speech should be perfectly allowed too. I do get if it makes some people uncomfortable but at this point in time it seems best to keep that sort of thing to yourself. The world is changing away from those times and all you are doing is alienating yourself. .

3 Likes

“When it comes to the players and their tweets, I don’t believe they should have been punished for it. I’m of the mindset that there is freedom of speech. People have the right to say what they feel…”

The problem, Sweetie, is that your boss, the Miami Dolphins, had a HUGE problem with related bad behavior recently and sent specific instructions to their players, coaches, etc., to cease and desist. It wasn’t a tentative suggestion, it was a big, honkin’, pay-attention kind of directive. Did you think they didn’t mean you? Do they have your attention yet?

1 Like

So I guess employers have a right to cause harm to employees for having views they do not agree with. Right libs?

Next time some liberal at work says something you don’t agree with doc his pay.

how are you going to punish people for being jerks - riley cooper is a perfect example of someone that should have been sanctioned. so goodell is saying, you can slam blacks but you cannot slam gays -

"The problem, Sweetie, is that your boss, the Miami Dolphins . . . "

In what way are the Miami Dolphins the boss of Stephen A. Smith?

The next time someone INTERACTING WITH THE PUBLIC says something that I believe is offensive TO that public they most certainly get reprimanded. That would go for a waiter mocking somebody’s crucifix and talking about ‘invisible sky fairies’ the same as a checkout clerk calling someone a ‘fudgepacker.’

I watched these comments being spoken this morning, and there is an absurd misunderstanding in these responses that suggests Stephen A. Smith is either homophobic or anti-gay. That is not the case at all. He has been outspoken in his support of gay players. So let’s do away with that miscalculation right now. His comments were simply in reference to the Dolphins fining Don Jones for speaking his mind. I, too, thought his remarks were naive, inasmuch as Don Jones is a Dolphin player and the Dolphins are especially sensitive right now to remarks that might resonate as bigoted in any way (thanks to the whole Jonathan Martin/Richie Incognito imbroglio). The Dolphins have the right to fine anyone on their team as they see fit, and in this particular case, Smith thought it was excessive. He was not supporting or agreeing with Jones’s tweets.

I gotta say, that felt really weird, defending Stephen A. Smith, because he is largely a blowhard, but let’s at least keep the discussion where it belongs.

“Smith as usual has no ideal of what he’s talking about”

I’m not a Stephen A. Smith fan, but he knows sports and the players, and he knows the difference between “idea” and “ideal.”

Okay, but Don Jones was fined. And Stephen A. Smith thought it was excessive to fine him, rather than take him aside and tell him that isn’t how the Dolphins want to be represented in social media. So your complaint is what exactly?

You’re right, um…oops. Let me fix it:

The problem, Sweetie, is that your his boss, the Miami Dolphins, had a HUGE problem with related bad behavior recently and sent specific instructions to their players, coaches, etc., to cease and desist. It wasn’t a tentative suggestion, it was a big, honkin’, pay-attention kind of directive. Did you he think they didn’t mean you him? Do they have your his attention yet?

1 Like

Much better!