Discussion: DOJ Tries To Ward Off Schiff's Threatened Barr Contempt Recommendation

When Congress in 2012 leveled a contempt charge at Attorney General Eric Holder, did the Obama administration wheedle and plead to make it go away? Or did they just dismiss the whole thing as a political stunt? I see that the Republicans were in federal court in 2014 over the issue, and Amy Berman Jackson ruled that contempt was out of order but that Holder must still turn over certain documents relating to “Fast and Furious” (which I believe was initially organized by the Bush DOJ) to the House committee. Holder later resigned and went back to his old law firm. I don’t know what happened on the Fast and Furious issue. Probably Darrell Issa and his cohorts just continued to look foolish and vindictive. Or they dropped that investigation to pursue the Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi charades.

I see there are a number of articles out there comparing these events. Here’s one:

3 Likes

It is a simple formula. Comply or contempt. Nothing less will suffice. The time for games is over.

6 Likes

1 Like

The deals stopped about the same time Monty did. No deals damn it !

4 Likes

Remember that poster from the Women’s March, January, 2017.

Nice touch.

[quote=“iceape, post:53, topic:88148”]
Comply or contempt. Nothing less will suffice.
[/quote]Like your work ethic.

1 Like

Excellent!

And when they bring suit against NY for passing the bill to close the double jeopardy loophole thus preventing Trump from granting blanket immunity for Don Jr by way of prophylactic presidential pardon, we can call them the DoJTJr.

3 Likes

You can take the girl out of NY but you can’t take NY out of the girl as I can attest to, so I’m very pleased that NY State AG is going after predatory lenders who preyed on mostly southeast Asian immigrants who wanted taxi medallions and control over their work life.

Also, there will be a very strong challenger to KY governor and his name is Andy Beshear, currently the state AG. Hope TPM covers this tomorrow.

So, there is a little light at this dark moment in our politics.

5 Likes

I don’t think congress has the power to impose fines for contempt of congress. Jail yes, fines, no. And even jail is problematic if the subject person avoids the capitol building since otherwise it’s the DOJ issueing the arrest warrant. Hasn’t been done since 1935.

English, motherfucker! Do you speak it?

2 Likes

The contempt charge expired with the term of that congress.

2 Likes

Appropriating funds requires the approval of both chambers. If the House says “you get nothing!” there is nothing Mitch can do.

2 Likes

Department of Just Trump?

2 Likes

3 Likes

House Dems should refer Barr to the state bar associations he is licensed in for review of his actions. Cutting off future income could be a big motivator for Barr.

Lock Barr up; lock Mnunchin up! All Republicans who support Trump support treason. I actually favor impeaching Barr and Mnunchin. Then, move on to impeaching trump.

1 Like

there is a cover up without a doubt. this cannot stand. The DOJ is for all the people not just DJT and his administration No rule of law no democracy and republic Rip up the constitution Republican Party

1 Like

Did you know that Schiff’s wife is actually named Eve?

1 Like

I knew if we worked on it we’d come up with close.

2 Likes

Songs can be earworms, can a piece of dialogue be one too? I think so.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available