Discussion: DFLer Quits Race For State House After Tweeting: 'ISIS Isn't Necessarily Evil'

Discussion for article #242887

the best thing for me to do is shut up. The tweet was stupid. I’m sorry.

Famous first words…

16 Likes

Based on what we’ve seen from Republican politicians, I would have told you it is impossible to destroy your political career with a single tweet. 144 characters just didn’t seem to be enough room to display the kind of compounding ignorance and simple tactical stupidity it takes to blow up a political career in one or two brief sentences.

But if it was possible, I would never have thought it would be a Democrat who accomplished that seemingly impossible task.

Was wrong on both counts.

13 Likes

Worst campaign slogan ever.

1 Like

Politicians need to stop tweeting.

8 Likes

Hoo boy. True cases of political correctness are whooping-crane rare but I’d say that’s what we’ve got on our hands here.

2 Likes

Amen!

1 Like

At least it was a real and honest apology.

11 Likes

I gave him credit for being the first, in a long line of unfortunate tweeters, to say he was sorry.

3 Likes

So does everyone else.

Twitter is the stupidest medium for transmitting messages since the invention of sky writing, with the added disadvantages that you don’t have to think before you send out your messages and your stupid messages survive forever.

11 Likes

Donald Trump is an excessively heavy twitter user for good reasons. It works well if all you can do is to keep vomiting crap. But it’s never an appropriate tool if you aim to say anything substantive about serious, complex issues like this.

4 Likes

Sky King’s gonna be very upset and the Wicked Witch is, well, the usual…

1 Like

I am not following politicians Twitter accounts (heck, TPM does it for me for some reason), just occasionally search with hashtags, as needed. I am, however, using Twitter as sort of a news feeder (as such, I don’t tweet myself, just “like” for my “archive”). It is useful to keep updated about news about studies by various research institutes etc, for example. So I wouldn’t say nobody should use Twitter. But it sure is a medium so easy to abuse.

2 Likes

The descendants of Nagasaki and Hiroshima A-Bomb victims might not agree that sometimes mass execution of civilian populations is a necessary and acceptable method of furthering a combatant state’s goals in time of war or hostilities. But equating the U.S. and ISIS would be damned deplorable, no?

1 Like

What a shame. Americans, and especially our leadership, need to consider what he said if we are going to survive the decade. Democrats & Republicans are at last unified in their idiot supposition that the best way to stem the tide of radical recruitment is to ignore it.

Kimmel was a little optimistic when he assumed his electorate could fathom basic cultural relativism any better than jihadists. Your tweet wasn’t stupid, Dan, just ill-timed.

1 Like

Geez, we’re going to be hearing that one on FOX from now to election day.

3 Likes

EDIT: Your tweet wasn’t stupid relative to tweets generally. Twitter’s explicitly for idiots.

“Yeah I know, but…I’m different,” goes the reader base.

Kudos to recognizing how stupid that was and stepping down.

1 Like

IOKIYAR.

No, seriously. Every democrat in the country will still be getting asked to disavow this guy a year from now.

4 Likes

Dems marginalize their idiots. Republicans give theirs more airtime.

3 Likes