Discussion: Dems Sue Trump Allies, Russians, Over 2016 Election Meddling

Sweetheart, you could just rely on my terrible eyesight - that’s what I figured had caused my confusion.

:joy:

1 Like

Since we are OT about Comey, this is why I don’t like the guy (from his book):

"I had assumed from media polling that Hillary Clinton was going to win. I have asked myself many times since if I was influenced by that assumption. I don’t know. Certainly not consciously but I would be a fool to say it couldn’t have had an impact on me.

“It is entirely possible that, because I was making decisions in an environment where Hillary Clinton was sure to be the next president, my concern about making her an illegitimate president by concealing the restarted investigation bore greater weight than it would have if the election appeared closer or if Donald Trump were ahead in the polls. But I don’t know.”

C’mon. Comey doesn’t know a lot about what is spinning around his head, yet he is supposed to be this Boy Scout (former) Republican intellect. He knew damn well what he was doing by announcing a further FBI investigation 10 days before the election.

Whatever happened to “the FBI does not comment on active investigations”? and DOJ traditional guidelines that “being sensitive about what information is released about pending or active investigations in the days and weeks leading up to the election.” Comey threw it out the window in order to throw the election.

3 Likes

Changing the Constitution isn’t the only way to make this happen - there’s also the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact. Last I checked, they were something over 60% of the way there:

4 Likes

A friend referred to me as “vintage” the other day, as well as to himself, so at the rate of progress this project is making, I may not be around.

As of March 2018, it has been adopted by ten states and the District of Columbia. Together, they have 165 electoral votes, which is 30.7% of the total Electoral College and 61.1% of the votes needed to give the compact legal force.

In the absence of even-handed congressional oversight, lawsuits seem to be the flavor of the month for shedding a little light on things.

I don’t know how it will turn out, but on first blush I’m happy to see this particular lawsuit. I particularly enjoy the role reversal – watching a deep-pocketed plaintiff grind down Trump’s over-matched minions.

I’ll be even happier if it turns out the DNC has a comprehensive media plan for keeping this on the front page through the mid-terms and beyond. It would be good to see something other than Trump’s tweets.

2 Likes

He says he didn’t steal the election. On prior form this is pretty good evidence that he did.

2 Likes

Great summary. Thank you.

1 Like

If Josh Marshall was a journalist instead of an historian he might be bothered to put up a stink about a political party suing a news organization for publishing news.

Can or does?

1 Like

Indeed. This cannot go unanswered.

1 Like

Personally I think many of us will find it necessary before long to reign in our blog time, in the interest of keeping our sanity. Besides messing with our brains, it entails sitting for long periods of time and staring glassy eyed at the computer.

Sour grapes?

A) Trump already played that card

B) It’s part of the conman’s repertoire to try and make the victim too embarrassed to fight back

And

C) since when is going to the law about a theft sour grapes?

3 Likes

Wrong preposition.

Standing up to Trump will probably attract at least as many independents as it turns off.

The DOJ, I’m thinking Rosenstein or one of his deputies. Not Congress because they didn’t have them until the Rs forced their release last night (and then promptly leaked them (my assumption)).

3 Likes

But what about John Does 1-10? That will keep us guessing.

2 Likes

That’ll work like a charm …just until Mueller gets fired.

This is as unrealistic as President Obama’s initial belief in Republican bipartisanship.

1 Like

The GOP were already framing it as the Dems trying to impeach Trump.

We might as well tell the voters whymthat is a good idea.

2 Likes

There is also the stark contrast between his feeling that revealing the investigation of the possible connection between the Trump campaign and Russia woukd have been brutally unfair whereas releasing this nothing burger of more emails and calling it reopening an investigation 11 days out was simply an attempt to preserve Hillary’s legitimacy as President.

3 Likes

Apparently Tom Perez misheard that old saying “When your enemy is falling, don’t stand in his way.”

Perez apparently thought it said, “When your enemy is falling, make sure you get under him so you can take credit for him falling down.”

(I truly want to believe that November is going to be good for us, but then I remember that Tom Perez is leading the effort and then I get this really tight feeling in the bottom of my stomach.)

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available