Discussion: Dems' New Slogan Is Lame, But GOP Is Giving Them A Populist Opening

1 Like

Saying the right things…

3 Likes

Meanwhile, you’re all okay with the GOP’s motto: Bought and bossed as they destroy what is good about this country.

7 Likes

“Lame” is being generous. When the ACA was a “new” idea, the “democrats” did such a lousy job of communicating what the ACA was that they let the lame brains from the other party Lie freely about what the ACA wasn’t. And the ACA is still “framed” that way.by many people.
Now, the “democrats” have a nice shiny new slogan. How much is behind it is anyone’s guess.
But I do give them credit for one thing, and one thing only. They have an alternative, and they are saying so.
Every single time some boob or junior buffoon from the Frankenputz White House so much as makes a tweet, there should be 100 or so “democrats” and others not just fact checking, but also offering alternatives to the policy drivel that continues to pour out of the White House while everyone else is looking no place but Russia. Those with alternatives need to present a stronger media presence in general so that average people begin to get the idea that there are those with different (and better) Ideas for Government.

6 Likes

I have a sneaky suspicion that Maxine Waters could come up with a slogan showing a little more pizazz and spirit.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, it is lame, and the framing is all wrong.

(1) “A Better Deal” presupposes another deal, presumably a deal made by the other side, but maybe not. It could be a reference to an earlier deal made by the Democrats.
(2) If the reference is to a deal made by the other side, the one that this deal is better than, that gives the other side credit for having a deal in the first place. Why give them that credit?
(3) Comparative adjectives are weak. “Better” is the comparative of “good.” Are we suggesting the other side made a good deal? The framing here subtly, or maybe not so subtly, reinforces Trump’s claim to be a deal-maker. Why reinforce it, especially when he hasn’t made a single deal worth mentioning since he’s been in office?
(4) Comparative adjectives are especially weak when the other side loves to deal in superlatives and grandiosity. If the Democrats’ deal is merely “better,” then somebody else presumably has a deal that is “best.”

Those are just some of the reasons why I think the slogan is not only lame but worse than ineffectual. Democrats have come up with catchy, evocative slogans in the past, e.g. “the New Deal” and “the Great Society.” We still remember them and, more important, what they mean, decades later. I’m not saying it is easy to come up with a comparable slogan in the present political climate. But we need somebody who understands framing to help.

13 Likes

The headline isn’t worthy of TPM.

10 Likes

NIce way to overthink this.

7 Likes

Perhaps I am overthinking, but I had a visceral reaction to the slogan – that it is wrong, wrong, wrong – and I am trying to unpack that.

7 Likes

Hear, hear, hear, hear. I do so wish they would do this. Part of the problem, though, is that there is not a strong consensus among progressives on the solutions. And some of the solutions offered – just protectionist trade policies – just mimic the Trumpeters.

2 Likes

(Cross-posted from another thread)

“A Better Deal” is weak. The word “Better” has relative meaning, which begs the question, Better than what? The voters that Dems lost aren’t interested in thinking too hard to try to figure things out on their own. I know that sounds harsh and elitist, but i believe there is a very good argument that those same voters were swayed to vote for T rump by absolutes. “Great” is more appealing than “Better.” “First” is more appealing than “improved.” I completely agree that words like “First” and “Great” are empty promises, but those words worked for Republicans because they went much further in communicating a vision for America that was superior to “I’m with Her,” or “I Believe.” Dems must play by the same rules as the Republicans because elections are won and lost by swing voters.Those swing voters are drawn by ideals that do not require anyone to have to try to figure out what those ideals mean without going through a comparative analysis. The issues the Dems have identified are great, and as far as people are willing to pay attention, they will secure the Dem vote for Dems. They will not pull swing voters to Dems without a much more simplistic message to communicate those issues. Perception is everything. That is true for positive images as well as negative images. T rump knows full well that simple and degrading words associated with his opponents solidify his base. Dems cannot afford to take the high road and attempt to nuance their message through top-to-bottom levels of intellect and comprehension. I’m not saying the Dems need to dumb it down, but Dems do need to be much more specific, and be much more positive in absolute terms. No variables. Period! Get it? Got it. Good!

3 Likes

By referencing new deal refuses to recognize that the WWII generation has all but died out, which is why there is an opening for authoritarianism.

My suggested slogan is “CHILL:” Climate, Health Care, Infrastructure, Leadership, Liberty in personal life.

2 Likes

The Dums certainly lend credence to the saying: “Second place is the leader of the losers!”

Slogans without proposed policies and leaders who can lead are not worth shit. Until the Dums get rid of their elitist (and clueless) leadership, they don’t stand a chance to win back congressional majorities.

The Dems cannot count on the Repulsives to continually fuck up, even with their leader, the Asshole-elect.

Get real…“A Better Deal.” Sad

2 Likes

“A better deal…” is OK, but I think it would be stronger if they added the word DESERVE in there. As in "Americans DESERVE a better deal by having health insurance that they can afford. Americans DESERVE to be paid a livable wage for their hard work. Americans DESERVE a better deal … " you get the idea.

7 Likes

It’s a good start, but a start is what it is. Anything being rolled out right now is probably a trial balloon, and I’m glad they’re testing the waters now. Frankly, I don’t think slogans and such are particularly important in midterm elections as those races tend to be won or lost by individual candidates, not so much the party.

9 Likes

I’ll repeat what I said another thread along these lines: PEOPLE FIRST!

15 Likes

These are Donnie’s promises:

1. ‘EVERYBODY’S GOING TO BE TAKEN CARE OF’
  2. ‘GET RID OF ARTIFICIAL LINES’
  3. ‘NOBODY WILL BE WORSE OFF FINANCIALLY’
  4. ‘NO ONE WILL LOSE COVERAGE’
  5. ‘NO CUTS … TO MEDICAID’
  6. ‘INSURANCE FOR EVERYBODY’

Hold his orange feet to the fire.

2 Likes

It’s short. It reminds me of FDR’s “New Deal.” It will fit on a bumper sticker.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure what happened at the ole Dem messaging braintrust was someone getting the bright idea that echoing the “New Deal” under FDR would be a great idea. Fucking morons. It’s like they went with the first thing suggested and called it a day.

6 Likes

Ha…great minds think alike.