Discussion: Dems Agree To Support This Portion Of WH's Emergency Funds Request For Border

Making mistakes in real time. Trump will just misappropriate the funds for his wall so there is little point in using specific language. Instead, declare no funds for Trump until he complies with all oversight requests/subpeonas.

5 Likes

No, there is. It’s illegal for the agencies to use funds for purposes other than those that Congress appropriated them for. And the people that do the budgets and move money like to stay out of prison.

This actually enhances the case going forward against his misappropriation of funds, as it addresses the one part that might actually get legitimately labelled an emergency, and separates it from his precious Wall.

8 Likes

I’m usually not happy about headlines that mislead on the actual content of the article, but this one made me laugh because I can just imagine the purists going red-faced nuts over the headline before reading the article. This “agreement” is, in fact, just a middle-finger in Trump’s face.

10 Likes

Nah. That’s insanely hard to do and potentially criminal. Even he and Miller and the rest of the Corruption Cabal recognized that to play around with funding he’s not supposed to have, they had to invoke procedures for getting at it, i.e., declaring a nat’l emergency.

1 Like

Not until we can actually stop the action and impose some punishment for doing so. (This, of course, is why they are so eager to stack the courts with reliable stooges.) Since the plan seems to be to allow this in the budget, I suppose we will actually get to see what prediction comes to be.

Just like it was illegal to not turn over Trump’s taxes to a Chair of the House Way and Means Committee request?

Dem leadership is still acting like this can be solved through the courts. As long as they get their ducks in a row and make an airtight legal case, that Trump will duly follow the court orders. But I think we all know that if the SCOTUS does rule against Trump, he’ll just ignore them too. Dems need to plan and act for that inevitable situation.

2 Likes

Not how it works! Since the money people can be personally liable, they’re not doing anything until they have the go-ahead.

All of that promised money shifting around at the Pentagon, for example, hasn’t been delivered, pending the court cases.

It’s just like Trump’s instructions to the border folks to turn away asylum seekers, tell them we’re full. The moment he leaves, everyone goes back to following the law.

If he were smarter, we’d be in trouble. We’re lucky he’s such an incompetent idiot, and has no idea how things actually work.

2 Likes

And do what with what, exactly? The Legislative branch doesn’t have an Army or anything to enforce its will. It relies on the judiciary branch to check the executive.

So what plan and act are you suggesting?

1 Like

Just handed trump some more rope to hang himself with.

4 Likes

I have always said that the incompetence of our opponents has been our best defense. (Sadly, McConnell is clever as well as evil.) As noted, since this appears to be what our leadership is going to do, we will get to see how it actually turns out.

2 Likes

Who is going to prosecute them? The DOJ? The League of Justice?

Career employees aren’t going to commit a crime now, knowing full well that, while they may be protected now, they would be facing career-ending charges and fines/prison as soon as January 21, 2021.

They didn’t invest decades of service and building their retirement pension to throw it away.

2 Likes

Actively, publicly and legislatively support whistleblowers, civil disobedience against illegal orders, and resistance in the executive branch.

Support and pass legislation to immunize any government worker who complies with a congressional subpeona in defiance of their bosses

Start getting promises from Dem Presidential candidates to pardon anyone who gives information relevant to oversight to Congress, even if doing so is in violations of the law.

Set up a special committee to aid any government worker willing to resist an illegal order, with access to lawyers/public unions/other groups to provide aid and information.

In short, support the resistance in the executive branch fully, publicly and without reservation.

They’re already doing all that stuff with whistleblowers, Cummings noted that they had “dozens” of them talking to Congress.

Just because it’s not all happening out in public view doesn’t mean it’s not happening.

1 Like

So, you are expecting fair elections in 2020?

Better question would be if I expected elections in 2020.

1 Like

What is concerning me about Trump’s wall is that at the same time Trump is moving toward war with Iran he is taking money needed for the military to be able to go to war. That is under his emergency declaration law the only place Trump can take money for his wall is from military maintenance and preparedness which mostly means spare parts needed to keep military equipment ready for war.

So at the same time Trump is moving America into a major military confrontation Trump is also making America less prepared for that confrontation.

2 Likes

Don’t let’s let things like facts and logic muddy the waters here…

1 Like

Or any at all…

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available