Discussion: Debate Commission, Networks Have No Plans To Fact-Check Candidates Live

“Cool under attack” versus easily and predictably flustered. We must keep this mind, plus her team of people who’ve sent Bill and the president to office and will do the same here.

3 Likes

Clinton should not waste time arguing with Trump - that was Jeb’s mistake, getting into a yes you did, no I didn’t about Florida gambling license. Call him out briefly, and if he interrupts to contradict, point out he should save his comments for his own time, and she should promise the audience that her campaign is working to fact-check and will put out the information voters need to see that Trump is wrong. If moderator and networks are hell-bent on letting Trump offer non-factual responses, then Clinton campaign must pick up the slack.

3 Likes

You’ve hit on something we’re all whistling past. Why debate at all? It’s politics wrapped in a show biz format for the lazy. The candidates have been with us for over a year, and the voters have a responsibility to have at least tuned in a little and not wait for a 90-minute big media moment to learn what they’ve been saying and doing for the previous 12 months. Rant over.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have her mention the word fact check. Now if her camp wants to fact check, go for it, everyone else will be.

But would I smile if she came up with a novel way to draw Comey into this and in the process make Trump into a liar, heck yeah.

1 Like

She should come out wearing a sash … Reads …

First Woman Evah

2 Likes

Plus it’s hardly a real debate if one of the debaters stands there and makes shit up. How can you “win” a debate by making shit up?

It beggars the imagination.

2 Likes

Even tiny things like the surprising sexism and anti-intellectualism of CBS reportage this morning, awe-struck by Donald’s weekend of faux-alpha campaigning and bothered enough by HRC’s feminized weekend prep that they called it “Cramming” on the title banner. Gayle didn’t look thrilled to be there after her weekend with Mr. & Mrs. George Lucas…

1 Like

because when its done right, its a great learning tool on how democracy works.

When ya have folks (moderators, executive directors, media) who are interested in ratings, then that’s where the problem lies…

@tena

3 Likes

Sadly, the media numbnuts will grade Hillary Clinton EXCLUSIVELY on whether after the debate they feel the American public, themselves included, wants to “have a beer” with Hillary, and if they don’t, they will go back to their main job which is helping Donald Trump to win in November. After all, Clinton is so “unpopular”, remember?

3 Likes

I don’t think recent history or Hillz’s nature make that much to worry about. They’ve been banging him pretty hard. I expect more of the same.

3 Likes

Trump: “Crooked Hillary eats white working class babies for breakfast, buried Vince Foster in the Rose Garden, and stupidly believes the Earth is round. Also, my penis is the biggest in human history.”

Janet Brown: “Who’s to say he’s wrong? It’s not our job to fact-check.”

6 Likes

Talked to my sister in Newport Beach this morning and she said her “…stress level was about the same as Britney Spears in 2007.” (clever lady!) :joy: ___ So, I enlarged and sent her a copy of this jpg to aid her.

She just said she’s taped it on the bottom of the tv. rotfl

6 Likes

Trump can’t handle the truth:

2 Likes

This is what I mean. If they want to have a fantasy debate then come up with fantastic debate questions - like whether or not Data is human.

It’s just as realistic as letting someone stand there and lie about everything.

2 Likes

Sam Wang’s Princeton Group nudged Hill’s election probability to 69% (Bayesian 79%) with a slight meta-margin boost to 1.5 (from 1.4). This is standard deviation stuff…quite stable.

In the meantime we are dealing with lucre/filth/MSM bullshit. What people like Matt and Davey are doing is exponentially more American than these fucking whores who foul the TV screen. That means YOU, Nate $ilver (who has been talking with GOP groups).

What I fail to fathom is just WHERE these MSM ghouls expect to spend their fucking money. What planet? Do they really believe that they have another planet picked out?

2 Likes

The ‘media’ and its future have a large stake in this election. For the moment, the ‘media’ doesn’t want to look stupid, get played by Donald again, be laughed at on social media.
And, aside from the candidates, NBC and Mr. Holt have a huge on-going cash and career stake in the solid journalism of this debate.

2 Likes

Ratings. Duh.

And if one side refuses to come to a debate? A coup for the other side.

2 Likes

Major networks were also unwilling to commit to the chyron fact-checks they’ve taken to using to correct candidates in real time, according to a Monday report from Politico.

Univision and Telemundo told Politico that they were not planning to fact-check candidates on screen, citing the rapid-fire editorial and technical response required.

“best country in the world!!!”

4 Likes

I get that merl - it’s just that it ought to be pretty plain how useless to the voters it is to just let someone lie their way through a debate.

1 Like

Facts are simple and facts are straight
Facts are lazy and facts are late
Facts all come with points of view
Facts don’t do what I want them to
Facts just twist the truth around
Facts are living turned inside out
Facts are getting the best of them
Facts are nothing on the face of things

4 Likes