Discussion: DCCC Chair Cancels Appearance At Anti-Abortion Dem's Fundraiser After Backlash

I think you mean Lipinsky. Bustos is the DCCC chair.

2 Likes

Wha happened in '16?

I’ll wait

1 Like

I’d be satisfied if they simply stop campaigning for him – and stop black-listing consultants and activists who work for primary challengers.

14 Likes

Supporting incumbents (and black-listing companies who work for primary opponents) is a tradition and it was made policy this year because there’re 40 plus new members, who are not your so-called corporate shills by the way. It’d be weird to say they support new members from swing districts specifically, so the policy applies to all members, including Lipinski AND progressive members.
Not to defend Lipinski (I want him out NOW) but I just wanna say it’s not that easy for Dem leaders to please everyone.

4 Likes

In the end the Democratic Party has to take a stand on some fundamental issues and can’t throw money away supporting candidates who work against us. That doesn’t mean they have to primary Lipinsky. It means, at the very least, let him find his own way to re-election. It’s hard to see how having one more Dem. in the House is going to help if he won’t vote with Dems. on essential legislation. If they need more bodies to hold the speakership, let them un-Gerrymander the red states so that a proportionate number of Democrats can legitimately be elected.

8 Likes

Their stated rationale is of just as much interest to me as mine is to them.

 

Exactly.

7 Likes

No, I mean Bustos. She represents IL-17. Dan Lipinsky represents IL-3.

1 Like

I’d like to add some affirmative, positive ideas to help families, on top of a rock solidly pro-choice platform. I’d start with guaranteed Medicaid eligibility for every child who’s adopted. And their mother.

3 Likes

Trump happened in 2016. This is a district that has voted for a Democratic Congressperson since 1983. In 2018, Bustos won her seat with 62% of the vote.

Which doesn’t mean it’s solid blue. Joe Manchin won by a large margin too. Bustos was made DCCC chair because of her ability to win in a Trump district.

3 Likes

Though that Trump win was by 7,

do you think that she can be easily replaced?

Do you think that the district can be retained?

2 Likes

Yes, today a Dem would win that seat.

k

Which mean we should vote for corporatist shills and losers like Dan Lipinsky? Manchin voted for Barr. He voted for Kavanaugh and Gorsuch. Keep pretending that he’s working in your interest.

Never a fan of Manchin. Just saying you’re using Bustos’ personal victory to prove that her district is blue.

And Marie Newman can beat Dan Lipinsky in IL-3, but the DCCC wants to shield incumbents from primary challengers. Tells you how democratic they are and how expendable women’s rights are to them.

Regarding Bustos and what district she represents, I stand corrected. I can understand her position better knowing that she is represents the same state as Lipinsky. Just the same I wouldn’t want my DCCC money spent retaining a placeholder for the far right.

1 Like

Please read up about IL-17. It has been blue since 1983. The two parties reached an agreement in 2011 to redistrict it in such a way that IL-17 would be Democratic and the neighboring two districts would stay Republican. Bustos won that seat by over 62% in 2018. I hear the refrain here that if someone is not in CA or in a very blue district, you should support whatever the heck they stand for.

I disagree.Even that argument doesn’t hold in IL-17.

Don’t hold me to it (cause I’m a literal procrastinating, non spieling sklawag), but I’m giving a donation to Newman next week (I’m also a spendthrift, but anyhow).

The thing is, you said that successfully primarying Bustos and retaining her seat is a slam dunk.

I (somewhat) disagree.

Let’s see what happens.

3 Likes

The Democratic party will not allow anyone to primary Bustos. They will blacklist anyone who supports a primary challenge to her. She brings in mucho money from the PACs. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but she doesn’t care about the average Democratic voter.

Also a little birdie tells me that a bunch of assholes like Lipinsky who originally didn’t support Pelosi for the speakership were assured fundraising support in exchange for their votes.

Bustos is the one assigned to deliver on that promise.