Discussion: Data Firm Hired By RNC Accidentally Leaked Millions Of Voters' Personal Info

Last year I got a notice from a credit card company that there had been a data breach, exposing the personal information of millions of cardholders. Their compensatory action was to allow each cardholder to enroll in a credit monitoring program for free for 2 years.

The RNC and/or the contractor who exposed the personal data should be required to do no less.

4 Likes

Kind of a quandary for the NRA. Is it OK for R Party to collect personal information on gun owners, and sell it to Wal-Mart, Outdoor World, me, you, whoever? Do they condemn the R Party for leaking all that gun owner data to anyone who knows where it is? We know they sure don’t want the government to have this data. But, what if the NRA get what they seem to want and the government and the R Party become one and same thing? Is it OK for the R State to have this data?

2 Likes

Data Firm Hired By RNC “Accidentally” Leaked Millions Of Voters’ Personal Info

Slight correction to the headline…you’re welcome…

1 Like

So if we find our information within this database that was accessible, then could an American sue based on PII disclosure?

If not then the question I would ask the court is, why can an american not sue a company for the unauthorized disclosure of PII, when that disclosure leaves them vulnerable to a variety of crimes, the least of which is identity theft.

Any bets as to whether this is a big or little story?

OOPS

Little. The House Oversight Committee will do nothing to investigate one of their own.

3 Likes

Depends on how the Dems can be implicated in any way…Oh! wait ------no implications needed.

It’s ok if they’re our jackbooted thugs.

1 Like

Don’t worry. Eventually he’ll pass out and the autonomic nervous system will take over and he’ll start breathing again and so long as he’s not underwater (or in a vacuum), everything will be fine.

1 Like

Exactly. Zero chance it wasn’t hoovered up by the Russians. And not much of a chance this wasn’t deliberate considering the FBI warned them of Russian hacking efforts in July.

I don’t suppose anyone has bothered to check the DNS or firewall logs to see who accessed this information–which appears to be on virtually ever registered voter in America (we have about 200 million RV’s as of last October)–while it was out there for the taking.

No? Yeah, I thought not.

2 Likes

This is Amazon. I have no idea what level of logging they have, but at the very least they have billing for bandwidth, so someone is going to know how many times the db has been downloaded.

Follow up story----------

1 Like

That’s one way to make sure the Russians have the information they need to hack elections on behalf of the GOP.

Why would Russia need to hack it when it was “accidentally” made public. Who could use this information besides the Russians? This is a way to give it to the Russians without the transaction being intercepted by the FBI. Just make it public, and say, “Whoooops!!!”

1 Like

All of this folderol collection is in aid of donor solicitation and not necessarily votes, despite the fact that these folks may actually vote. Unless we rip Citizens United from adjudicated law, and with it the stretched legal notion that unlimited $$$$ equals free speech, our way of government and the one person, one vote concept is thereby destroyed – not in future, but already!

I know this is all old news by this time, but keep in mind that the raw voter records are Public Records which are available from the voter registry in every town/precinct. The public information available includes name, address, and voting history (which elections you voted in, not your actual vote), and maybe your age and other census data. The real breach is all the additional cross-referenced data and scoring applied to those records by the contractors

1 Like

A 198 million voters??? With 62 mill for trump and 65 mill for Hillary, that leaves about 70 million registered who didn’t vote? Nice America…real fucking nice!

2 Likes

Personally, I think the Republican Party or their contractor owes me several thousand dollars. They’ve damaged my brand name : - )

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available