Discussion: Congressional Baseball Teams Take The Field One Year After Shooting

Ohio Rep. Brad Wenstrup, a doctor who helped save Scalise’s life last June, has watched those attacks unfold with the acute sensitivity of a mass shooting survivor.

Each shooting is jarring, says Wenstrup — he calls the Parkland shooting in particular sickening — but his views on gun control have not changed.

“If not for a gun — two guns really — being used on our side” by two Capitol Police officers at the GOP practice, “you might have seen 20 dead people,” Wenstrup says. “That tells you where I’m coming from.”

I think “acute insensitiviity” is more like it.

1 Like

As breastfeeding babies are being ripped from their mothers’ arms, Rethugliklans have found a new sense of purpose.

“Play ball!”

“If not for a gun — two guns really — being used on our side” by two Capitol Police officers at the GOP practice, “you might have seen 20 dead people,” Wenstrup says. “That tells you where I’m coming from.”

Which is missing the point - the police should have guns and be better trained in using them. You weren’t saved by random citizens with guns but by trained professionals with guns.

They both make this kind of intentionally misleading statement.

“Taking away the rights of law-abiding citizens is not the answer. Again, it was law-abiding citizens with guns that saved my life and many others,” [Scalise] said.

It wasn’t ‘law-abiding citzens’, Steve, it was law-enforcing professional sin-eaters—people whose job it is to bear the burden of protecting others. Nobody is saying we should be taking the cops’ sidearms away. We’re saying we should make everyone safer by reducing how often the cops need to use those sidearms.