Discussion: Clinton: 'I Would Have Won' But For Comey, Russia, Voter Suppression

I don’t know if you’re referring to me, but I agree. I initially posted to support Hillary’s commencement speech, and somehow we’re litigating the election again.

It’s more interesting catching up to the comments on the Kushner story.

Hillary. Please. GO AWAY!!! I voted for you. I even canvassed for you. Now please…GO AWAY!!!

maybe they got tired of losing so much.

The right candidate and the right campaign people can make all the difference.

remember the “Reagan Democrats”?

Yes indeed. And I also remember Dukakis in his three piece suits. You could see that disaster coming from miles away.

1 Like

Oh, you know, in a world where said candidate doesn’t campaign in Wisconsin once after the convention; where her campaign essentially ignores Michigan until days before the election; and where a candidate who campaigns in Arizona and buys ad time in Texas instead of focusing on the rust belt states that cost her the election.

Look: I know what it’s like to have fave pot shots and cheap insults directed at a politician whom you find personally admirable. But her campaign committed electoral malpractice, and the buck stops with the candidate. Maybe she would have won if Comey hadn’t make his announcement; maybe the leaked emails had some effect; certainly voter suppression is a serious issue for any D candidate; But it never, ever should have been that close that those things could have made a difference, and that close margin was in her power to prevent. And she fucked up.

I never once heard a single Bernie supporter call her a stupid cunt. I never thought she was mean to Bernie. I thought her minions were pretty hard on him, but that’s to be expected in politics.

The problem was that her minions ran the DNC :wink:

4 Likes

It’s more interesting catching up to the comments on the Kushner story.

Absolutely! Trump is dangerous in so many ways. I get the feeling he played poor Jared for the patsy. Ivanka may be sleeping alone in the near future. Mob-like you know, child abuse that doesn’t end well for either the abused or abuser. And Jared was so willing to help. Add in Jared’s arrogance and lack of respect for government and those that keep it running, and in some cases, those that hide in the shadows and put their lives on the line, and you have trouble, big trouble.

Randy, the voters always suck, and they are always the best people in the world, depending on whether you end up on the losing or the winning side. All I know is that there in no percentage in politics whining (not saying you are) about how dumb/ignorant/racist/misogynist/homophobic/venal/greedy/vain/ugly/smelly/uneducated they are. They are what they are, each election, in all their glorious imperfection, and a competent politician finds a way to appeal to a majority (with the electoral college in mind of course for the presidency) in order to get his or herself elected. The “Deplorables” did not suddenly appear like mushrooms after a rain; Obama won enough of them to win twice in a very racist country.

1 Like

Superwoman Clinton to the rescue… again!! I would dearly like to see that happen.

1 Like

Agree, As someone recently noted, half of America now gets their news from Facebook.

I don’t know where that leaves us, but having so many misinformed and willfully ignorant people seems to pose a huge hurdle.

BTW, I was hoping against hope this thread would not turn into a Hillary bashing or Bernie bashing thread, but that seems inevitable with so many strong feelings still out there.

I hope Democrats can get through this and unite in time. There are bigger fish to fry – our nation is in crisis.

@darcy

3 Likes

Clinton is right but she ignores the truth that she and her establishment supporters want everybody to overlook. The race wouldn’t have been close if she had run an inclusive forward looking campaign.

2 Likes

No doubt Hillary Clinton would’ve won but for Trump Russia collusion and treason.

She’s the rightful President of the United States.

As the #trumprussia matter proceeds, I think she should look into a legal challenge to invalidate the election. The case of first impression could be based on fraud and foreign interference on both the voters and the members of the electoral college, as the electors are not strictly duty bound to reflect the precise will of the people but have some discretion to use their own judgment subject to bad faith elector laws. The argument could be that if the electors knew that the EV winner was colluding with Russians to rig the result they would’ve never voted him in because they would’ve determined that Trump was incapable of fulfilling the oath of office. That manifest fraud and criminality could be the justification to reconvene the electoral college.

SCOTUS could reconvene the electoral college to re-vote and the EC could vote her in. SCOTUS could remove Trump from the equation or impose a 100% penalty/deduction on such votes cast. I suppose the EC could technically submit others for nomination (e.g., like Kasich, Biden Bernie), but SCOTUS could require that they nominate HRC b/c she was on the ballot in '16. They could also declare that all electors who voted for her are bound to her or offer a limited opt-out.

Fraud and misrepresentation has a long tradition in American tort law, so I think those concepts could be used her to make an effective argument to reconvene the EC.

I would also like to shoehorn the other legal argument that the winner-take-all allocation method for the EC is unconstitutional and the more constitutionally permissible option is proportional allocation (much like our Dem primary does for pledged delegates).

Guess what, Hillary is human, just human in fact. She needs closure and to vent and air things out just like any other person. She just happens to be the most respected and popular woman alive so there isn’t much she does that is in private.
She also shoulders great responsibility for what is happening now, for her supporters and our Party’s future.

I personally can’t imagine what she feels. The disappointment, the feeling of being robbed-right in front Jebbus and all and yet is helpless to fight it on her own.
I’d be lost for words and struggling as well.

I think her sense of loss is in parts. Partly, she knows that she was hi-jacked and the loss is more of a theft than anything.
Second, she had plans, real, deep plans to help this nation and us. She had that vision taken away and she knows now that that was her last chance.
She too is an American, one that is having to live through this dismantling of all that we love by a hateful, vengeful, incompetent, petulant and overgrown man-baby.

Anyone that thinks that all she cared about is just winning and that the horseshit that she felt entitled is real, is geared to hate the Clinton’s first and block out all reasoning and fact that disproves that otherwise.

I was gutted for months, and I’m just some local yocal that wanted everyone to be able to have nicer things. Not the person that dedicated a lifetime to be able to give that to me and all.

As Hillary led us to believe in ourselves again, so shall she lead us in the grieving process. I’m over the shock phase and I think that she is too. We are now dealing with it and preparing for the important phase, get back in the game and fight.

1 Like

Good analysis in that article. It doesn’t support your “two out of three” claim, but does indicate a small statistical basis for conjecture that “bloody nose” grudge votes for Johnson / Stein may have swung the EC away from Clinton. Caveat “ecological fallacy”. Thanks - a good read.

It’s a rickety bridge shrouded in perpetual fog across the bottomless canyon between “qualified for the job” and “hired for the job”.

1 Like

She should stay away from that subject altogether. Coming from her, it just sounds like whining. It sounds like collusion, obstruction and espionage coming from investigative and intelligence entities. Let them smite the criminal.

appropriate avatar :smile:

I’m no constitutional scholar, but I think your postulated drama has absolutely no basis in law.

If Trounce gets his just desserts, Hillary will be ever so slightly vindicated.

The fact that his Presidency has been and continues to be a disaster and he has to whine about it constantly because he just isn’t automatically loved, is somewhat satisfying but won’t ever heal the deep cut of being the #1 victim of voter and election fraud.

Comey is a whole 'nother issue. How dare he. No matter his political bias or reasoning, his job was to be non-political and unbiased. He’s been fired and has damaged his own reputation but again, there really is no making this right.
Comey is in Colin Powell territory. He’ll go on living with this with his head up while always knowing that he personally did a huge disservice to the nation that he was sworn to serve and protect.

The last shreds of a reputation that they try to protect isn’t worth protecting. They’d be better men if they just spilled the beans, fessed up and then quietly went about helping to repair what they have wrought.

It’s a case of first impression. Our elections have generally been above board and lacking in foreign interference and treason, but there’s a first time for everything. This would be a novel theory of applying a fraud/misrepresentation analysis to ask that the EC reconvene because they have a right by law to exercise some range of judgment in determining who becomes President, and could not render that judgment correctly because of Trump-Russia collusion,.

1 Like

:clap: :clap:
Here!..Hear!!

Yeah, the Republicans would never have gone after that guy!

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available