Discussion: Clinton Describes Trump Supporters As 'Basket Of Deplorables'

Of course though she will be skewered for this. The furor will be pathetic, especially given the absolutely profane things Trump has said.

12 Likes

Awaiting the VRWC media to twist these words into an unrecognizable pretzel of false logic and misogynistic hate in 3, 2, 1…

3 Likes

The Trump supporters are going nuts on Twitter. Funny that the I hate political correctness crowd is now screaming because Hillary was not PC and did some truth telling. I will add that if you are not a racist, bigot, sexist, misogynist or Islamophobe and you are still supporting Trump you are enabling said behavior and are guilty of supporting racism, sexism,and Islamophobia.

32 Likes

Would have been better to just describe the ‘basket cases’ as she did and then name the basket of possible conversionso with something more hopeful: Basket of Redeemables or some such

1 Like

But they’re not redeemable. They’ve probably been haters all their (long) adult life and they aren’t going to change.

6 Likes

And let’s not forget… not all Trumpkins are racists, but all racists support Trump.

3 Likes

No big deal. Every Trump supporter knows “basket of deplorables” translates into Russian as “universe of brilliance.”

6 Likes

Trump, the hater, is being followed by many haters. Surprise!

2 Likes

I find it funny that you have the Villager pearl-clutching idiots and the piss-in-their-pants, hair-on-fire Dems saying that this will hurt her. How, exactly? She can back up everything she said. Look at the leaders of the white hate groups and anti-gay, anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim, and anti-woman groups that proudly and vocally support Trump and say he is the leader they have been looking for. All the Clinton campaign has to do is link to the NYT video of the true feelings espoused by average supporters.

Plus, we have Donald’s pathetic and unapologetic birtherism (which, BTW, was also espoused by his charming plastic pre-nup princess wife Melania in her interview with Joy Behar on CNN).

What I find truly hilarious, but totally expected, is the usual MSM Broderistic bothsiderism, trying to compare this to Romney’s “47%” comments in 2012. Romney insulted the people that he needed in order to win the election; there is no way he could ever win without a percentage of the low-income and other voters that he spit on. But Hillary needs none of the voters she correctly pointed out. They, and any other voters who may sympathize with racists, homophobes, etc., were never in a million years going to vote for any Dem anyway. Also, pushing this will force the MSM to have to start talking about the massive amount of support Trump gets from these execrable people. I think Joy Reid, Katy Tur, and Tweety got into this last night on MSNBC when they destroyed that clueless Trump surrogate Jack Kingston.

I sincerely hope the Trump campaign makes a big issue out of this statement, as I also hope they make a big issue about being criticized for their campaign’s undying love for Vladimir Putin. Yes, bring these issues up as much as possible, Trumpsters!
Oh, and BTW, I wonder if Putin made Trump sign a pre-nup?

16 Likes

The Council for National Policy, a highly secretive group, is a key venue where mainstream conservatives and extremists mix.

The Council for National Policy (CNP) is, in the words of The New York Times, “a little-known club of a few hundred of the most powerful conservatives in the country,” an organization so tight-lipped that it tells its people not to admit membership or even name the group. It is important enough that last fall, according to an account in The National Review, Donald Trump and five other Republican presidential candidates each took 30 minutes to address the group; the conservative journal reported that Trump was by far the favorite candidate.

Revealed: Conway, Bannon Members of Secretive Group

Source: Southern Poverty Law Center Hatewatch

The two political operatives chosen earlier this month to lead Donald Trump’s presidential campaign after two former managers departed have been members of the secretive Council for National Policy (CNP), Hatewatch has learned

6 Likes

I hope Josh is preparing for a thread with 200+ comments. Twitter is practically burning with #basketofdeplorables.

I will NEVER give up my admiration for President Obama. However, the fact remains that Madame President can go places in the national discourse that he couldn’t.

And she is.

She’s talented and shrewd enough to realize that holding back on Rump and/or his acolytes doesn’t gain her anything. We are way into the Rubicon by now and there is just no turning back. The press will continue to attack her (THANK YOU, Matt Lauer) no matter what. Ripping the sheet off the obviously concealed loses her nothing.

19 Likes

Gee, I wonder if this will get less or more attention from mainstream press than trump’s 25k bribe to Bondi.

11 Likes

“To just be grossly generalistic, you can put half of Trump supporters into what I call the ‘basket of deplorables.’ Right? Racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic, you name it,” she said, according to NBC News. “And unfortunately, there are people like that and he has lifted them up … he tweets and retweets offensive, hateful, mean-spirited rhetoric.”

Clinton then described the other half of Trump supporters.

“That other basket of people are people who feel that government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures. They are just desperate for change. Doesn’t really even matter where it comes from,” she said, according to CNN. “They won’t wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they’re in a dead end. Those are people who we have to understand and empathize with as well.”

It is just me , but I would have lead off with the 2nd paragraph 1st, The 1st paragraph lost those in the 2nd, the ones she wanted to reach.

10 Likes

Ra-men.

5 Likes

They love themselves some secrets! Conservatives, just like cockroaches, run from the light.

4 Likes

More of a Drumpfster of Deplorables…

Do not apologize under any circumstances. Just read their words verbatim out loud. Point more than proven.

I thought she would have said “the despicables”, but maybe that’s trademarked?

4 Likes

why can’t you even get the fucking headline correct?

"To just be grossly generalistic, you can put HALF of Trump supporters into what I call the ‘basket of deplorables.’ Right? Racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic, you name it," she said, according to NBC News.

seriously, TPM you can be just as pathetic as fox news get your shit together -

3 Likes

Actually, I prefer…“The Aristocrats”! (Rimshot, please!)

2 Likes