Discussion: Christie Catches Slammed For Using Murdered DC Grad To Attack Liberal Policies

Your correct one shooting after another. Now if one would take the map they always show and superimpose all those weekly, especially weekend shootings then we would see 90% seem to be within a 1/2 mile radius. Next one needs to ask just why the police are only in those neighborhoods AFTER the fact and never seem to be on any sort of patrol other than a donut patrol.

1 Like

You know, I used to really enjoy watching the 10PM News from KTVU-Oakland. Around 2001, 2002, they started losing their edge. Years later, I happened across a column from former anchor Leslie Griffith in HuffPo (this was like five years ago?) and she was making some points about the state of true journalism and mass media in our nation. In her column, she stated that she and editorial folks at FOX (who had recently taken over the news dept.) were not seeing eye to eye on a host of issues – but particularly Channel 2’s coverage of then-Pres. Bush, his war in Iraq, etc. She wanted to follow some leads and present other legitimate angles. They were having none of it. When her contract came up for renewal, they declined to renew. She said she was happy to be out of it. Besides the deliberate slanting, she was glad to not have to doll up and keep her weight so low. After reading her column, it all made sense to me about why I started feeling KTVU was slacking and going downhill. It also answered my wonderings about Griffith, herself, as I had always liked her reporting.

(Sigh).

1 Like

Same here!

1 Like

Speaking of “Sigh”, I seem to recall that as soon as Leslie would say anything Dennis Richmond would loudly sigh and shuffle papers. Maybe it was just my mind playing tricks but it seemed he was pretty contemptuous of anybody besides him speaking…

2 Likes

I hear you.

The last time I watched local TV news, was when George Putnum [Said to one of the models for the MTM Show’s “Ted Baxter” character] was newscasting on KTLA, Los Angeles in the mid-1970’s.

1 Like

That’s what the current debate is centered on.

A film from the Eighties Broadcast News (hope you saw it) was about the trivialization of news and the prettification of the on-air talent. Very frustrating for journalists who could see the handwriting on the wall. They knew they were losing the battle and the larger war. Infotainment couldn’t be stopped.

3 Likes

LOL. Yeah, I think you’re right … Dennis did seem to sigh quite a lot. Dennis also benefited a lot from Elaine Corral. Corral was very vocal when her and Richmond’s contracts were up for renewal–this during height of KTVU’s ratings command–she was the much more vocal one, telling management that they deserved well more than they were receiving at that time. KTVU was an independent station, managerially/editorially-speaking, and was able to take advantage of it back then to basically let their news division to actually practice old-style journalism. Back then, they were whipping all the other stations in the news ratings – even KRON-4 in SF, themselves very good at local news.

(I was a bit of a news junkie back then as well). I really miss San Francisco, its people and its values. You can’t beat the culture. I just wish I were more financially mobile. Well, at least I have those memories.

4 Likes

Check your private messages.

1 Like

And, unfortunately, the corrupt governor in question was too smart and experienced to leave any written record of his criminal acts.

Two questions for Christie:

  1. Why do you look so unhappy with your balloons?

  2. Why are you such an asshole?

3 Likes

Regarding Ted Baxter, I loved the moment on the Mary Tyler Moore show when he asked that episode’s guest Walter Cronkite what words he had trouble pronouncing.

Another question: Can you see your shoes when you’re standing up?

1 Like

I didn’t ask that one because I already knew the answer.

Thanks!

1 Like

Chris Christie can suffer no punishment, failure, or embarrassment too severe to satisfy me. He is as bad if not worse than Rudy Giuliani, who is one of the most despicable characters I’ve ever seen.

4 Likes

What is the rationale to offer sanctuary to violent criminals? I don’t see much room to debate that.

By no means am I defending treating a violent criminal with kid gloves, but this man had no record of violent felonies although he’d been deported repeatedly and snuck back in repeatedly., Here’s a link to SF Chronicle coverage and there is a lot more all over the Web. Also, he stole the gun he used from a car owned by a BLM agent and the break in and the subsequent theft was never investigated only compounding the horror. The majority of the finger pointing is directed at the sheriff for not contacting ICE to come and get this guy and he contends he was following the outlines of the sanctuary city policy.

2 Likes

I don’t believe Mr. Sanchez did before this incident.

KrispyCreme to Kevin Sutherland: “Sit down and shut up! I’ll exploit the corpse of your son any way I damned well please!”

3 Likes