Discussion: Charges Alleging Jussie Smollett Lied To Police Have Been Dropped

Yup. Expensive lesson.

1 Like

Not deferred, the lawyer has just stated that on live TV on SKY news, I think the word is ā€˜nullifyā€™ (There was some drop-outs).

Waiting for confirmation from CC DA, but if this is true Iā€™m glad. What Smollett did was terrible but I donā€™t think he deserved jail for this. This feels like either the DA or defense found some stuff that CPD did that would complicate their case in front of a jury.

5 Likes

Since I havenā€™t watched Empire since the first seasonā€¦has he been killed off yet on the series due to the original charges? If so, theyā€™re gonna have to bring that guy back from the dead somehow. Not so hard though. They do it all the time on daytime soap operas. I understand he was quite popular on the series.

What am I missing? The charges were dropped because he was innocent or they were dropped because he bought his way out of them? He said, the police believe? WHAT???

I think the prosecution might have jumped the gun on an indictment or fucked up real bad somehow, but Iā€™m not sure.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s true - the story is showing up everywhere now. I agree. I donā€™t like what he did but I donā€™t think it warranted all those damn charges.

I think its also possible that these two brothers might have lied to prosecutorsā€¦so Iā€™m not certain Smollett was guilty of the charges from the beginning.

2 Likes

Well they all but threw the book at him. I thought the cops totally overreacted.

1 Like

Chicago cops come off as the most defensive law enforcement in the country. It seems to lead to a lot of mistakes and overreaction, especially with regards to people of color.

1 Like

Trump should study this ruling real good!

THIS IS WHAT A FULL EXONERATION LOOKS LIKE, you dummy!

4 Likes

:joy:

This article said $10K. Was that a typo?

Reeks of ā€œwe have a Fourth Amendment oopsieā€ to me.

5 Likes

Yeah it does at that.

1 Like

NY Times also says $10 K.

Smollett did what he did and then the predictably sleazy and corrupt Chicago PD messed up the case by getting caught doing something equally bad. Some warrant less transgression or other. Guyā€™s off the hook but very far from being innocent.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m wondering. And if so, why did they lie? Did someone pay them to lie? Who?

I had read, but have no direct knowledge whatsoever, that sometimes the amount held is 10% of the total bond amount. If that is the case, then it could be that he forfeited only the 10%, hence the $10K figure.

1 Like

His attorneys stated in the press conference quite explicitly that there was no deal and no deferred prosecution.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available