Discussion: Charges Alleging Jussie Smollett Lied To Police Have Been Dropped

Settlement and a plea to lessor charges? Because if not, there’s going to be a political shit-storm for Kim Foxx here in Chicago.

1 Like

…because he didn’t lie to the police ? Hmmm…?

I just read on another site they’re calling it “deferred prosecution”, whatever that is.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Smollett’s lawyer, Mark Geragos. Geragos has been charged as a co-conspirator in relation to the Avenatti case.

Honestly, I really don’t follow these kind of things. Too TMZ for me…yet here I am for some stupid reason.

7 Likes

Wow. Wasn’t expecting that at all.

1 Like

So the brothers weren’t paid to lie?

2 Likes

Okay, first the Bill Barr ‘opinion’ is released and now this? This week is truly beginning to feel like a walk through Bizarro World.

4 Likes

There wasn’t an underlying crime?

4 Likes

Wait … what? Did he or didn’t he file a false report with local police? Why the big announcements a few weeks back, telling the world dude’s been caught with his pants definitely down by his ankles (so to speak)?

Wait a minute! I thought that an indictment meant you were guilty. Or does that only apply to Russians?

I’ve wondered all along what evidence there was against him. Surely there was something other than the attackers’ word that he arranged it all — wasn’t there?

1 Like

Underlying? Lying to the police IS A CRIME. Critical police resources WERE WASTED.

Certainly an interesting turn of events.

1 Like

What the fuck? WHY? No mention of WHY, so great reporting.

Because it’s breaking news, just happening, they’re apparently at the courthouse and people are waiting on statements…

If it’s deferred prosecution, it’s like what Kraft is being offered in Florida. Defendant admits that if case had proceeded gov’t would have been able to prove guilt, and, in exchange, gov’t drops the charges and defendant has some period of “good behavior” required for the charges to never return.

3 Likes

His attorneys are playing this as if the hate crimes really did occur:

“He was a victim who was vilified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public, causing an inappropriate rush to judgment,” a statement released by his attorneys Tina Glandian and Patricia Brown Holmes reads.

But that’s not what the prosecutors are saying:

“After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollett’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,” the state’s attorney’s office said.

Sounds like they figured that ruining his own career was punishment enough.

3 Likes

And the agreement to forfeit the bond-- wasn’t that like $100K?

Wait–I thought only overlying lies to the police are crimes? That’s what the AG just said. Something must underlie the lie in order for the lie to be a lie lie.

5 Likes

I guess since there were no charges, he was completely exonerated. That’s how it works these days, right?

11 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available