Discussion: Bush: Under My Plan"People Should Work Longer Hours"

No, Trump is not better… I just want Jebby to be soundly thrashed by his lesser… I think whoever is the GOTP nominee, we’re heading for a landslide. If Dems and Independents will get off their butts and VOTE.

This is S.O.P. for Americans, who put in more hours at work than people in almost every developed country. Our four kids LIVE at work. They have far less free time…and thanx to the cyberworld, they are ALWAYS connected to someone (as opposed to taking time out to reflect). Moreover, their work is more intense,scrutinized and regimented.

I would call myself an academic success, retiring with publicaions and a fair amount of consulting and presentations at conferences…yet, my career as a Professor was like a Boy Scout compared to the cyber-leash these poor kids are on:

For me there was

• Mail by faculty mail box hung in the department office
  • Letters (not 40 emails a day) occasionally coming to one’s office
  • ten office hours per week
  • one telephone, which I left (gladly) when I left my office

People like Bush are also busy in a certain sense:

Counting Money…[oh…I forgot! that’s what accountants are for]

2 Likes

Exactly. Even taking him at his word that he meant that we need to get more people working full-time instead of part time, he’s making it sound as if part-time workers are lazy.

Part-time workers work the hours they get. They’re just supplying their own labor according to the demand. Jeb ought to be saying “we need to get employers to hire more full time workers”, or “we need to encourage employers to convert their part-time employees to full-time”. He’s focusing on the Supply in a Demand-Driven labor market.

Even so, he’s still out to lunch on the whole issue of rising productivity and flat worker pay. Conservatives love to talk about how the Workforce needs to be “incentivized”. Well worker productiivity has been going up steadily for the last 30+ years while worker pay has remained flat. That is a Dis-Incentive to Produce.

And they want to talk about how lazy people are.

4 Likes

I worked as an Assistant Manager for a national retail chain in the 1980’s and we kept all our employees under 30 hours a week to avoid paying benefits. This practice was going on long before the ACA. The only difference now is that these employers use the ACA as an excuse not to pay benefits.

6 Likes

As far as I can tell Jeb is not employed so he has no call to criticize how much anyone works.

I don’t begrudge wealth…if it is acquired honestly and ethically. I do take offense when a wealthy person criticizes those who have acquired less yet work hard and for many hours perhaps at multiple jobs.
Jeb is currently unemployed so, wealthy or not, from my point of view he has no call to tell anyone they should work longer hours. It gives the impression, deserved or not, that he sees himself as better than someone else and “entitled”.

3 Likes

If Jeb! ever found himself working for a market wage, it would be the worst day in his, his extended family’s, and his 1000 closest friends’ lives. Combined. He would probably have to go home sick at noon.

1 Like

Don’t you understand? When you’re born into a family like the Bush’s you may be wealthy, but you’re always on. There’s never a moment you’re not working to expand the families fortunes, have power meals, rushing hither and yon all for the purpose of fame, power and money. Sure, wage slaves may have to work 40+ hours per week for static wages/salaries, but to be of the Bush’s ilk is to be always on and no compensation is enough for that.

3 Likes

Wow. Has Jeb hired Sarah Palin’s speechwriter? Or the strategist who told Romney it was a good idea to denigrate 47% of Americans?

How can Jeb speak with that silver spoon stuck in his mouth?

Translation: “Americans must work longer hours so I don’t have to.”

Reminds me of his dad who showed how out of touch HE was when he could not say what a gallon of milk cost, and his dad was the smart one.

2 Likes

Jebby’s campaign theme: “Arbeit Macht Frei!” ____and you just know that was a favorite of Mommy Babs Bush!

It captures the the Bush Family’s kinder and gentler form of conservatism.

BTW: Just last year Gallup surveyed American workers and found that the average worker works for 47 hours a week. That’s nearly a full day on top of the 40 hour work week. Even worse, 18% of workers reported that they work over 60 hours a week. And to be lectured on this by a man who has a family compound, who seeks tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations, is astounding. FU*K YOU, JEB!

1 Like

Mitt Romney, the 47% guy, must certainly be advising Bush Jr

If Jeb! Bush! wants to blame anyone for an anemic recovery he says we’re having, he has only to look at how we got here in the first damn place. Go ask your brother George, Jeb!. KIng George did one hell of a number tanking the economy, and frankly, a lot of us are still trying to recover from that shit.

Fucking Bushes,…both were born with a silver foot in their mouths. Not a one of these GOP assholes would know how to run the country…especially another privileged out-of-touch Bush!

1 Like

If Ann Richards were still around she could explain it for ya.

I had a similar problem. I meant to say “you have nice eyes”. Unfortunately it came out you have “nice tits”.

1 Like

The 40 hour work week with overtime pay and paid benefits like sick leave and unemployment insurance came from the Unions and progressives not any dufus conservative Bush Brother. Jeb ! is trying to reinvent the wheel after his party began breaking its spokes over 40 years ago.

So who did come up with the idea of making everyone work either part time or as contractors…so owners didn’t have to pay overtime or benefits? Jeb ! didn’t have any problem with that when it was proposed by his party I’m sure. He probably made sure the idea was put into law in FL as governor.

These things can be checked out and the facts will come to light.

1 Like

I’d say he has the whole silver service in his mouth!

Gee, sounds just like a working mother!

1 Like

And you are a purveyor of incorrect information. In point of FACT, the ACA says that the business must provide insurance if the number of full-time workers exceeds 50 or some such number. Thus, by hiring more part-timers, businesses save a lot of money.

I thought everyone knew that. But apparently ignorami are still confused about facts. I support the ACA, but the coupling of the insurance requirement to number of workers was not good.

Actually that’s not true either. The ACA says that you either provide insurance OR you can pay a fee/tax per employee if you have 50 or more employees. In a lot of cases the fee is actually cheaper than carrying insurance. There are also regulations attached that you may not configure your staff specifically to avoid said requirements and the formula also accounts for part time employees in a cumulative way and not individually. So you can have 100 part time employees, but when applying the formula, it would likely put you above the 50 threshold. Also, configuring your staff like that does not make you particularly competitive, so it’s not as common as you would think.

The ACA does not, in fact, set or cut hours.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available