Discussion: BREAKING: Franken Resigns In Emotional Speech, Denies Some Allegations

Very, very sad. I only hope that the ultimate result is an advance for the rights of women, minorities and all who have been ignored for so many centuries.

And I hope that Sen. Franken will find a way to recover the respect of the public.

18 Likes

Guess thatā€™s the difference between Minnesota and Alabama right there.

@floydmaster Iā€™d like to say Iā€™m going to do the same because Iā€™m royally pissed she didnā€™t even let him get through the ethics investigation. But Gillibrand wasnā€™t alone. She was joined by just about every potential nominee for 2020 from Kamala Harris to Cory Booker, and just about every other name in the news Senator weā€™ve got.

I hope they know something we donā€™t. Otherwise, this is just madness. Even if they do know something we donā€™t, and they very well might, seeing Franken go is heartbreaking.

37 Likes

If only there were a formal process for citizens to show displeasure with their elected representatives.

And your link shows that a majority either wanted him to stay or wait for the ethics investigation process to play out. So congrats, your righteous witch hunt just trumped the democratic will of a majority of Minnesotans.

31 Likes

ā€¦and ā€œThe Reign of Terrorā€ continues. I hope that The Senator from New York, Mrs. Defarge is ready for what will surly follow. At some point in these revolutions the mob turns on executioners and their accomplices

The sad thing is that this ā€œThermidorian Reactionā€ results in any progress that had been made is lost.

12 Likes

And GOPosaurs, arm in arm with The Rapist in Chief and their newest Senator from Alabama, are laughing all the way to their Wall Street bankā€¦

18 Likes

This is why Republicans will control the House and the Senate and Trump will never be impeached no matter how much heā€™s been working with Putin to debase our nation.

The Republicans donā€™t throw out their elected members if it endangers their agenda and their controlā€¦the Democrats on the other hand think this is the way to win when it is onbly going to help little lyind Donnie Trump stay in power.

Suzie Collins will never be allowed to force Trump to resign over his sexual assaults of at least 30 women of with 16 have already come foreward and told their stories.

Roy Moore and Donnie Trump are far more dangerous than Al Franken - the weak Democrats are the reason the US working class and the working poor are facing tax increases while the rich are getting a free lunch.

Democrats donā€™t care about workers - if they did, they wouldnā€™t allow Republicans to control the government!

21 Likes

And yet I see him being criticized. From our side. Said he didnā€™t strike the right tone.

This is why we lose.

21 Likes

They are Republicans. We are Democrats (well, not everyone out here, but I am). We say we are better. Itā€™s not enough to say that we are better. We have to be better than they are.

13 Likes

There was a good story on Slate about this that sort of summarizes how I feel. i understand that people who act like Sen Franken did should not be in office. Whatā€™s more frustrating is that the Democratic party seems to unilaterally disarm in these situations while the republicans screen at them and support their denying abusers.

There needs to be a better way to address this because as a Democrat, weā€™ll keep losing and if we expect the electorate to reward the party for taking the high road weā€™re fools.

14 Likes

My handle is NoParty because I like neither party.

I also dislike most politicians.

But for years, I told people:
ā€œIf there were more politicians like Al Franken out there, with brains,
integrity, perspective, and a drive to genuinely help people, especially
those with little voice, maybe some day I could join a party.ā€

Indeed, I finally felt I understood the health care issue after Frankenā€™s
explanation in his most recent book.

So Iā€™m taking the loss of his public role very hard today.

45 Likes

Are you working against Kamala Harris?

5 Likes

Donā€™t you mean Madam Defarge?

5 Likes
After eight women came forward to accuse him of sexual harassment over the past few weeks, Sen. Al Franken (D-MN) took to the Senate floor Thursday morning announcing his resignation from his Senate in the ā€œcoming weeks.ā€

A date which shall live in infamy.

9 Likes

What happened today was not being better than they are. We won no moral high ground by removing a great senator based off false accusations.

17 Likes

What a stupid move on your part.

6 Likes

The mob wants complete humiliation and submission. Apologies arenā€™t good enough. Professional and political suicide isnā€™t good enough, either.

17 Likes

If Franken resigned because he knew that there was credible proof of more egregious behavior that could come out, then he took the only honorable path.

If he resigned because he was convinced that it would offer moral high ground for the Dems to attack Trump and Roy Moore, then he fell on his sword for his party.

If he allowed himself to be ratfucked by the GOP for no good reason because he could not stand the heat, shame on him. My guess is that he was achieving a high enough profile to make him a credible candidate for higher office, so the GOP set out to systematically destroy him. They succeeded.

29 Likes

Yeah if you look at the breakdown itā€™s mostly Republicans that donā€™t seem to want him. Dems where clearly on the fence and the plurality wanted to wait for the ethics investigation.

11 Likes

This is the kind of ā€œjusticeā€ that women are wanting with the metoo campaign? If not, let some of them speak out against this travesty.

Sorry but ruining the career of a good person-someone who has benefited millions of others through his workā€“is way worse than anything that Al Franken has been accused of.

28 Likes

A fine speech. Iā€™m glad he referenced the crimes of Trump and Moore.
If heā€™s cleared by the ethics committee he ought to run for Klobucharā€™s seat when she retires or runs for president. It might be the best revenge.

9 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available