Discussion: Blue States Form Climate Alliance After Trump Withdraws From Paris Pact

This is what a mature leader does. We don’t need gestures of dominance or more pissing contests. We need thoughtful effective action.

14 Likes

"‘Most Selfish Human Being On The Planet’: Chris Matthews Blasts Trump’s Climate Change Ignorance

By Sean Colarossi on Thu, Jun 1st, 2017 at 8:32 pm

"It is hard to think of the worst thing this president has done, but so far this might just be the one. "

10 Likes

Tempting as that might be, I think breaking up the US is all part of the Russians’ plan. And I’ll be damned if I do anything in Putin’s interest. So I’d rather find ways to isolate the red states while staying WITHIN the union.

9 Likes
2 Likes

You know, when it gets to the point where people are actually grateful that the Federal gov’t. hasn’t hired someone for a Cabinet position, I’d say the country as a whole is pretty well doomed.

3 Likes

It is never time to discuss secession.

Why lefties keep prattling on about it is a mystery to me.
It’s illegal, it’s stupid, and it’s bad PR for liberals.

It furthers the right-wing idea that we are not all in this together, and it reinforces the right’s constant refrain of selfishness and disregard for others.

21 Likes

Don’t forget that most of the cities in red states are quite blue. Kansas City is as blue as you can get in the middle of a depressingly red Missouri. If the E and W coasts turn their backs on their blue friends in the country’s mid-section, things will get much worse.

The majority of US citizens lean progressive. Unfortunately, that majority is concentrated in the relatively small amount of districts that contain large cities. Until we crack that political nut, we’re stuck with rural and suburban know-nothings populating the federal government with these Republican idiots.

12 Likes

Obviously those 3 people care more about wealth than the natural world which happens to be the basis of everything. Money won’t count for much if it’s all you have to eat.

1 Like

How different and better for this planet it would be if Putin no longer had influence over our world…

1 Like

For 2018 and beyond climate change is a losing issue for democrats unless they can make a clear simple economic argument against global warming which they have so far failed miserably to supply.

1 Like

The majority of US citizens lean progressive.

That is just not true. One thing the far left has never understood is that the majority of the country isn’t particularly progressive. Mello and Quist found that out just now. If it were true, we’d have Sen. Feingold in WI but we don’t.

Carving our the urban areas from Red states doesn’t give them enough power, enough leverage. There’s no political nut to crack. There’s strength in numbers that band together.

@astonmartini

unless they can make a clear simple economic argument against global warming which they have so far failed miserably to supply.

There’s no “argument” for the Dems to make: you either believe that climate change is upon us or you don’t. It’s not an issue of convincing those who can’t be convinced. It’s like trying to “convince” people that tigers exist.

4 Likes

Don’t forget McConnell. McConnell supporting Mr Trump “for dealing yet another significant blow to the Obama administration’s assault on domestic energy production and jobs”.

3 Likes

FIFY

2 Likes

Brown is kinda sorta our Macron.

But for sure Trump is the fight Brown is made for.

Meanwhile, Macron’s statement really was terrific. The Narcissist in Chief will be gulping bile all weekend.

9 Likes

Our pending climate disaster was caused by greed and all associated economic forces where “growth” was the requisite factor for every policy decision that was made by every nation on the planet. We are now seeing the results of our collective hubris. The future will be very, very different from the past. Either we will all go down in flames if we do nothing and continue BAU, or we adapt to new technologies and an economic paradigm that enables us to survive without the necessity for growth and accumulation of our planet’s resources. There is no middle ground. We are at that do-or-die moment in our planet’s history.

9 Likes

Yup, certaintly. McTurtle, however, doesn’t seem to have a twitter account. He’d’ve called Drumpfie up on his landline to tell him how brave and wonderful he was…

2 Likes

I suspect that trump never read the language of the Paris Accord. I think he’s reacting to others who told him what they thought was in that agreement and those people haven’t read it either. Government by assumption is not a good idea.

This is piss poor leadership by the lazy. And this time it affects our children and grandchildren directly. I tend to get real nasty when my offspring are abused by someone who should know better. trump… this just got real personal.

11 Likes

3 Likes

Mar-a-Lago will end up under water as will its golf course.

1 Like

I’m not sure where you’re getting your information, but the progressive lean of US cities is a well-documented trend.

2016 data: http://metrocosm.com/election-2016-map-3d/
2012 data: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/11/red-state-blue-city-how-the-urban-rural-divide-is-splitting-america/265686/

I’m not in any way suggesting that we carve out the urban areas from the Red states. In fact, it’s the very carving currently happening due to population shifts of liberals moving to cities that is causing this issue. The very real political nut we need to crack is how to convince the right-leaning districts (which are in the majority) that voting for stupid and/or selfish people will not help them live better lives.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available