Discussion: Bill Clinton Slams 'The Awful Legacy Of The Last Eight Years' (VIDEO)

Bernie is not doing the US any favors. If she wins the nomination as is highly likely, he is making it harder for her to win.

13 Likes

It just doesn’t even begin to make sense to me that this was a dig at Obama considering the fact that HRC is basically running as an Obama third term and because BC knows better than anyone the stupidity in running away from a popular president.

22 Likes

Typical conservative willful ignorance.
Everyone knows what he meant, but of course conservatives will twist and lie about it.

It’s the conservative way, after all.

I am a bit surprised that Bill was so…sloppy…in his comment. A politician really should not leave anything open for interpretation when making a comment like that.

I have wonder though, is he well?

4 Likes

The man has some stones complaining about “No regulation”. So many of the problems we have now are due to Clinton’s deregulation of industries that are Hilary’s greatest contributors.

Killed Glass-Steagall.
Signed the Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000, which barred SEC and CFTC from regulating derivatives and credit-default swaps.
Allowed and encouraged media consolidation via Telecom Act of 1996.
I could go on…

7 Likes

Except that he did a masterful job acting as explainer in chief at the convention in 2012.

21 Likes

Meh. Just typical politician behavior, honestly. The kind of thing that they would expect Hillary to do and ought to alienate his fans a bit and make them wonder if he’s not just another politician after all. But, of course, they won’t. Not how it works.

5 Likes

I have noticed a real change in his rhetoric in the last few weeks, and (for me at least), it doesn’t reflect well on him.

5 Likes

BC has had a chip on his shoulder re: BO since way back when (i.e., 2007).

4 Likes

Good point.

Has PBO been teaching him 11d chess?

:wink:

4 Likes

Not even clever.

I’m confused. Read Bernie’s response three times and it sounds like, to me, that he’s defending the president. What am I missing? Should he have said nothing?

4 Likes

Ask Obama himself. I guarantee he doesn’t think WJC bashed him because the context is as clear as it can be – Hillary has campaigned to build on O’s legacy, Bill has been defending O’s records, and above all Hillary was key part of O’s team.

Those people who willfully ignore the context would excitedly jump on it right away to score some points. I hate election seasons :frowning:

6 Likes

To me, that was the highlight of that convention. One of his best speeches ever.

4 Likes

I haven’t heard him speak in awhile, so I don’t really know. This snippet shows someone who’s struggling. We all age, and maybe his age is finally catching up. I hope this is an anomaly.

1 Like

I agree that this was clumsy. He clearly didn’t mean to refer to Obama’s presidency. This comes from the habitual mealy-mouthed insistence on referring to ‘Congress’ when discussing the Republican congressional faction–the strategy, totally counterproductive in the current climate, of using ‘nonpartisan’ language to describe a hyper-partisan reality.

7 Likes

That interpretation makes sense only if Bill Clinton actually attacked Obama with that remark. Do you think Bill attacked Obama?

5 Likes

I don’t think he has lost his touch and I am willing to give him a lot of slack. He is out on the campaign trail every day. I can’t imagine not making more mistakes - I know I couldn’t do it. And anyone who doubts the depth of the Clinton’s loyalty to the current president has not been watching or listening for the past seven years. Reading the comment it is obvious what he was talking about.
And to the critics of Bill Clinton - if you are a Democrat - you owe him a debt of gratitude for saving the Democratic Party in 1992 and his team for keeping Tad Devine from messing up that campaign as he has done on every other he has touched.
As for Bernie Sander’s remarks, typical reaction. Will be happy when he no longer commands any recognition for his remarks. Won’t miss his wagging finger.

8 Likes

I don’t know if he’s lost his deft touch in general or somehow he becomes inept when he is trying to campaign for Hillary. But I cannot imagine the Bill Clinton of the 90s slipping up this way.

1 Like

Senior moment?

2 Likes

Re: Sanders - this is still a real race here, 1176 to 855 out of 2026 needed. I know that the idea of anyone running against Hillary bums some people out. It’s an outrage! Incomprehensible! But… deal with it? This a nerf campaign anyway, how did you guys get such thin skins?

3 Likes