Discussion: Biden: Trump’s Foreign Policy Makes Me ‘Guilty’ That I Don’t Want To Run In 2020

Joe, you are TOO old, and too tainted by your treatment of Anita Hill. Do us a favor and don’t run, just enthusiastically support whoever you want in the primaries, then immediately get behind the winner if you back the wrong horse initially.

9 Likes

Assuage your guilt by working that much harder for Democrats who are running, Joe. You’ll have our deepest gratitude for your efforts.

9 Likes

It’s not about your guilt, Joe.

3 Likes

Biden has become a kind of “dignity wraith” of his own, through some sort of ricochet effect.
I’ve never been a fan of Biden, but I had some respect for him in the past.
Now, he seems broken down and pathetic, desperate for attention and relevance.

4 Likes

IMO it’s easy to see why he would feel broken down and pathetic… he could never win what tRump did. Perhaps if he had been an enthusiastic Clinton supporter in both 2008 and 2016 he would not have to suffer the embarrassment now. Biden is a part of the reason why we are where we are now.

2 Likes

Agreed, and in the same vein, so is Obama.
He was masterful—at protecting his own image. I say this without regards to his policy achievements. What he didn’t do is build for the future.

3 Likes

What I like about Biden is his age. He has a very clear understanding of what our country SHOULD be and not what it’s become since around 2001. To me, that perspective is important.

I’m not saying that I think he should run, but we’ve turned into something I don’t recognize anymore.

4 Likes

Me either, and it’s this seemingly unexamined complacent self-regard that’s mostly why. He feels guilty about not saving the world but he just doesn’t feel like it. Ugh ugh ugh.

4 Likes

I find it hard to sympathize with Biden when there are kids being separated from their families, people throughout the country being treated like crap, and even Trump supporters being pissed upon because Trump is willing anything to do to protect his fragile ego, including risking his own supporters’ jobs and livelihoods just so he can score a “win”.

1 Like

You know, it occurred to me a while back that we have a parallel in the civil rights era. You had corrupt governments subjugating an entire race of people, perfectly willing to use violence to back it up. The people had to organize and fight back just to have their basic rights honored. Trumpism is an ugly and frightening thing to see running the national government of a superpower, but there’s really nothing new under the sun.

3 Likes

What? Just go away.

1 Like

“If only I had the time to write like Tolstoy.”

Joe Biden

Biden’s health allowing – He’ll be 79 on inauguration day – he could make a great special envoy.

2 Likes

Seriously, Joe, the “Maybe… maybe not… on second thought, maybe… no, maybe not… I’m so honorable, yet so conflicted!” shit got old in 2016.

It’s 2018… shit or get off the pot.

1 Like

The hostility shown here to one of our best elder statesmen is disappointing.

5 Likes

Oh, get over yourself, Joe.

1 Like

I was just fixing to post something similar to that. I’m done with this comments thread.

2 Likes

Joe, feel as guilty as you want to. But keep in mind that you are most definitely NOT the only person who understands that Trump’s foreign policy and so much more, needs to change, and you are most definitely NOT the only potential candidate who will run in 2020 who intends to reverse the trend we are on. So, step back, consider the younger and more vital candidates, and endorse one. Your time came and went.

3 Likes

The main reason he didn’t run in 2016 was a completely valid one. The loss of Beau in, I think it was, 2015 was way too fresh in his mind. We lost a good one with the loss of Beau and, had he not passed, we would have had a very strong candidate moving forward.

But Joe lost his son. After having lost another son years earlier. This guy has suffered more than any of us could imagine. Even at this late date, I’m not sure he’s completely over it and he shouldn’t be.

He’s a great lieutenant, but I don’t know if he would make a great leader. He was wonderful as VP, but I think that was the height of his ability, which isn’t to say that it’s not worth anything.

He shouldn’t have to run in 2020. The Dems are guilty of not doing a great job building up the next generation of leadership. There should be someone out there that could assume the mantle and make it happen.

2 Likes