Discussion: BIBI WATCH: Netanyahu Wants 'A Much Better Deal'

Discussion for article #233902

I missed this part of the speech; 25 minutes in I had to run to the bathroom sink. I rinsed breakfast down the drain . . .

4 Likes

channeling poet Robert Frost

Stopping by a hitsiger on a snowy afternoon…

The actual deal that will be ultimately agreed is unknown at this time, but it seems he wants the President to make the best deal he can, which means they are in agreement.

5 Likes

Since when is catering to Israel’s desires the “road less traveled” for the United States?

7 Likes

Keeping in mind that this is a Congress that can’t get out of its own way, what exactly would Netanyahu have them do, especially since the Iran deal will be done or fall apart by March 24? Since the US is not alone here, has he delivered this talk in London, Paris, Berlin, Moscow and Beijing and, if so, what do they think about it?

7 Likes

Speaking on behalf of a country that also ocannot seem to get out of its own way.

1 Like

Well if he wants a better deal, maybe he should be involved in the negotiations. For a country with an obvious vested interest in the outcome, they sure scream from the side-lines a lot.

4 Likes

Netanyahu’s idea of a better deal, he wants to dominate the Iranians just like he does the Palestinians. Continued, unending sanctions with the occasional threat of bombing instead of an agreement that includes inspections.

2 Likes

Considering the US stopped briefing Israel on the contents of the negotiations because they were leaking details to the press, I’m surprised that Netanyahu could outline a better deal since he doesn’t know what this one looks like.

And what is all this talk of Congress having a hand in these negotiations? I didn’t realize that the legislative branch would have a seat at a table negotiating with the executive branches of the P5+1. Wait until Congress claims Obama is playing politics with these negotiations.

3 Likes

I remember that Israel also set out the Iraq war.

He’s confused we give them more money than most US states (number 1 foreign aid recipient), so he thinks Israel is the 51st state.

I’m guessing Iran wouldn’t allow that. Let’s not pretend that the Mullahs are wonderful fellows, because they aren’t. Quite the contrary. That doesn’t mean not to make a deal. The President is very realistic, I think. The Speaker, not so much.

1 Like

Nobody will get any deal if they are not willing to take the first steps. A better deal is a classic bushwink (big lie) to say, my way or the highway. Fool me once…

1 Like

Corker essentially wants veto power over any deal. That’s like having 535 commander’s in chief.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-02-26/corker-says-he-ll-offer-iran-nuclear-bill-giving-congress-review

2 Likes

Israel has survived in a very tough neighborhood, so they have done alright. Of course, they had many leaders much wiser than Bibi. But they will survive him too.

Bibi went before Congress to claim Iraq had WMDs and were an existential threat to Israel, or so I recall. I wouldn’t mind the end of this experiment called Israel. It seems to me, and I’m no expert, that gathering the entire world’s Jewish population into a tiny country surrounded by “enemies” isn’t really smart thinking.

1 Like

Does he understand that the only reason the GOP nutjobs want to help Israel is to fulfill the prophecies in Revelations? Not sure I would trust them since the only reason they want you to take all of Palestine is so Jesus will come a send you to hell…

1 Like

And Obama is sure to sign it. Wait for Congress to sue the president over this treaty negotiation and push this up to the Supreme Court, which will find for the first time that sole-executive agreements are illegal when the president is black or Israel has a temper tantrum.

3 Likes

I support Israel’s right to exist although Benjamin Netanyahu is making it harder and harder. “Don’t bunch up” is good advice.

2 Likes