Discussion: Barr Decides Asylum Seekers Who Show Credible Fear Still Not Eligible For Bond

Unfortunately, not surprising. I worry that they won’t stop making things terrible for immigrants until a large number of deaths from their tactics goes public and catches the attention of enough people. Meanwhile, I keep thinking that if immigrants keep coming in the face if this overwrought treatment, there could be no demonstration clearer about how terrible conditions are at their home countries.

5 Likes

In another post, someone called him a spanner. You gotta love the Brits and their use of our language.

3 Likes

Let’s not forget that as bad as things seem, there are tens of thousands who are willing to walk thousands of miles to live in this country. It seems to me that the decent thing is to welcome them.

5 Likes

This 20-day rule is the product of the Flores Settlement Agreement, which pre-dates the Trump era but governs the detention of migrant children. The Trump administration has long called for this rule to be changed. In fact, when Trump issued his executive order to “end” family separations, in the same order he ordered the Justice Department to ask the court to change the FSA so that families could be detained together for longer than 20 days.

In May of last year, before family separation made headlines, I was on a conference call in which Stephen Miller advocated for changing Flores.

So in short, yeah, if this wasn’t a court-ordered rule, the Trump administration would have jailed families for the entirety of their asylum review a long time ago.

12 Likes

It takes a village…

A village of Cruel, Corruptible, and Criminally-inclined Republicans that aid/abet Cruello DeDrumpf aka Individual1…

To divide American People by racial attacks & demonizing immigrants…

To destroy our democracy ie unilaterally declaring fake national emergency over a fake wall…

To damage American institutions through constant hateful attacks and/or governing by sabotage…

To disregard our rule of law and international laws ie treating asylum seekers with credible fear like criminals

In a desperate effort to instill fear so they can hold on to their power and gravy train!

What happened to “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free”?

2 Likes

Do these cruel people lay awake at night to think up various ways they can hurt immigrants- people who are already suffering?

4 Likes

So many of Trump’s appointments have been corrupt and despicable.

But, Barr might stand alone in his degree of despicability, cravenness, abject corruption, and vile complicity in illegalities and cover-up. And his decisions and actions have meaning and effect.

If there is any way to subject him to criminal accountability, I hope, by dog, that it’s done.

3 Likes

Speaking of “fat” - Barr looks like he has a drinking problem.

1 Like

This is bullshit. Hey Imigration judiciary jump in here now

1 Like

Baffin Island

2 Likes

I’ve been saying for over a year that Trump’s policies should require the dismantling of Lady Liberty and selling her for scrap. She’s no beacon for freedom anymore.

2 Likes

He doesn’t think so.

Hoo Boy if they find out about thumb screws ! …

[ or get the smarts on how to use them ] … :anguished:

Such a nice, empathetic man. He could easily slip into the role of Mr. Bumble at the parish workhouse in Oliver Twist. Look how far we have come since Dickens’ day.

I had been wondering what motivation did William Barr had to come out of retirement to work for Donald Trump. I get it now, he wanted to run concentration camps. Keep an eye open for a trumpturd opening a plant for producing Zyklon B.

2 Likes

The person requesting asylum proves reason for credible fear and the United States lets them stay but keeps them locked up indefinitely. That is sick. Isn’t that called un-American?

I am not a lawyer. Is a writ of habeas corpus a pertinent legal maneuver for this?

2 Likes

WTF? Next, camps?

1 Like

There is nothing more American that keeping people locked up for decades without due process. See Guantanamo.

1 Like

Oh look, the corpulent purulent Sheriff of Nottingham has put forth a new decree to punish the peasants who probably wash his fucking dirty underwear.

1 Like

What is the point of doing things like this? Do they do it just because they enjoy hurting people? Given the evidence, that seems to be a credible hypothesis. Can anyone think of another reason?

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available