Discussion: 'Art Of The Deal' Ghostwriter Regrets Trump Book: 'I Put Lipstick On A Pig'

Charlotte Clinton Mezvinsky …since you want to be a jerk about it.

well, he believes he wrote the book, so it must be true!

Damn straight.

I wish I had read your post before I wrote mine. You summed my feelings perfectly and it would have saved me a few keystrokes. I totally agree with your entire post, not just the part I quoted. Well said.

And Trump will proceed, endlessly and at high volume. And what the listeners will take away, abetted by the press, is that Clinton is “a liar” and Trump is her victim. He’s going to fuck her up if she doesn’t prepare like no debater has ever prepared before.

1 Like

Our country is truly in a dangerous situation because trump has co-opted the GOP and millions of low information people are gonna vote for him. Very very scary to me.

1 Like

Hillary had the better one liner, he wrote the book on business and it ended at Chapter 11.

4 Likes

“He truly scares me. No joke.”

I think 99% of us here feel the same way. Personally I like to make jokes, but I am having a very hard time laughing my way through this.

4 Likes

Trump didn’t take half the royalties since he admits a few sentences later that Schwartz wrote the bloody book!

“He didn’t write the book,” Trump told the New Yorker. “I wrote the book. I wrote the book. It was my book.”

“Without me, you wouldn’t be where you are now,” Schwartz says Trump told him. “I had a lot of choice of who to have write the book, and I chose you”

1 Like

Since when is pointing out a fact being a jerk?

You’re far to sensitive to post here.

Agreed it’s not necessarily a win, but it’s a risk worth the reward. Trump’s more at risk than Clinton is: she can be herself: he can’t.

Trump has to rein in the misogyny: not completely, but only enough to let his supporters spin it successfully as being “strong”.

Clinton has to get under his skin enough to get his mask to slip. His natural inclination, I think, is to play to his base, and dominate her to the point of being abusive. If he does, she wins.

1 Like

I am not angry at Schwartz, I have no reason to be.
My problem with his mea culpa now, has several levels.

1. He urged Trupm (by his own acknowledgment) to bypass the autobiography he intended in favor of the art of the deal.

2. He agrees that he ignored / left out of or bypassed (whichever fits better) in the book the focus on Donald’s true personality.
    He witnessed the behaviours, went ahead with the book anyway and reap the financial benefits.
    That’s his prerogative, one which he is entitled to as a ghost writer who needs to earn a living. He doesn’t have to like his subjects, just fulfilled his contract and do his job.

3. Although he never expected the book to lead to Trump being the nominee, he has for years basked in the glory of being the writer who brought Trump to prominence with the book he wrote.
    Has he disavowed that before of made similar claims to the ones he is doing now? It may have wiped of some of the sheen from Trump.

4. Even now when making his mea culpa, he is not giving up the profits for ever from this book which he now claims was not a truthful portrayal of his subject, he is giving up the royalties for this year only.

Again, I am not angry at him, I simply will not pat and congratulate him for speaking up now in a manner that reads self serving to me.
I do so while thanking him for the message being delivered.

Reading the Donald’s predictable response at the bottom, something occurs to me: Trump couldn’t pass a simple Turing test. If you were communicating by text with him, your probable assumption would be that he was a poorly-coded AI subroutine, operating at about the level of a 10-year old interactive video game.

There really is something deeply wrong with him.

I’m pretty sure @candacetx is being facetious in calling you a jerk.

Could have fooled me.

First of all, Clinton will be prepared. The rap on her is “too scripted”, not “unprepared”.

Secondly, I like to think she will approach Trump as the anthropomorphic personification of Republican attacks on her, the pure, distilled essence of a 25-year campaign of lies and personal abuse. She will be strong, lucid and presidential; he will not. And I think she will leave him dismembered and gasping for air.

2 Likes

Not only hell but, nervous hell.
I won’t believe that he cannot win and is not the winner until the networks call the presidency for Hilary Clinton.

I do not trust the Republicans and I trust the MSM even less.
These are scary, scary times.

The only thing I hold unto is my belief that the Clintons are vicious campaigners. That coupled with their experience is my ultimate saving grace.

Edited for spelling mistake.

1 Like

I agree with you. The ones who watch the debate, may see it that way.

What concerns me is the day after, those who get their feed and news from these dishonest pundits who have an agenda to push.
These pundits who will spin this thing in a way that leaves us scratching our heads wondering if we watched the same event.

Yes, that’s my point/fear, only you articulated it better. :slight_smile: There isn’t going to be a debate in any normal sense. Just like a good Disney movie has to cater to little kids and their parents (often with entirely separate jokes), a good debate performance against Trump has to cater to low-information personality-driven voters as well as those seeking facts and analysis. Clinton can be very strong at the latter, and when up against Trump should obliterate him. Trump, by contrast, was strong with the former during the primaries, for the reasons @pluckyinky well articulated, but should have more trouble with a more diverse set, even if they are also low-information types. That’s only true if Clinton takes them into account during the debate, though, and actually works to win them over. It’s a bit anathema to her personality, IMHO.

I’ve noticed that he has a habit of cancelling when he’s not going to be in front of a handpicked crowd.

What would really be fascinating would be if Zelig-style, being in front of a left-of-center live crowd, his freakish need for applause turned him into diehard-lefty Trump, no matter what message it sent to all the wingnuts at home.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available