Discussion: Apple CEO: Religious Freedom Laws 'Pretending To Defend' Religion

Discussion for article #234806

Fortunately, I think it’s clear that this argument is winning the day with the American people, and that Pence’s and others’ ¨It’s all about protecting religious freedom from government overreach!¨ is seen for the obfuscatory Orwellian night-is-day BS that it really is.
I look forward to the day when Pence has to explain his rationale for repealing the law. Something again about ¨Hoosier Hospitality®¨ I anticipate.

8 Likes

If there is a supreme reality-controlling “god” (which I neither believe nor disbelieve) then I am certain that “he” wouldn’t need a bunch of humans to “defend” his almighty ass.

Furthermore, didn’t we use to commit people who claimed to be receiving secret messages that only they could hear or understand? Wouldn’t religious kooks that claim they are commanded to “defend” a religion qualify in this case?

7 Likes

If I talk to a six-foot-tall invisible white rabbit, I’m a crazy person. If I talk to god, I’m a person of faith. This always puzzles me.

4 Likes

See, CC, if Billy Bob Boobman in Bumblebee IN has to make a wedding cake for a couple of lesbians, then that nullifies Christ’s sacrifice on the cross, and in turn little Sam and Sally can’t celebrate Christmas anymore.

Now do you see why this is not about bigotry?

8 Likes

Indeed. Furthermore, if there is such a being, and if it were not as despicable, vain, hateful, jealous, and loathsome an entity as Mike Pence, it would already have smited the living shit out of him for misappropriating its intention and besmirching its identity in order to ostracize and inconvenience a certain class of taxpayers in Indiana simply because of who they love.

As for me personally, I need no clearer proof that there is no god.

3 Likes

I don’t get the scare quotes around ‘Pretending To Defend’.

In what way is that not an accurate description of exactly what they’re doing?

If your God is so damn almighty does it really need your defense?

2 Likes

Those were Tim Cook’s direct words. Perhaps double quotes would be in order.

1 Like

Couldn’t be prouder of the tech community’s response to this. Apple in particular.

It’s hard for the pro-business right to argue with the gay CEO of the most valuable company on the planet.

But they will anyway.

6 Likes

So how do you think conservative pundits would respond if an Indiana business owner decided to ban anyone wearing a crucifix from his/her establishment … because intolerance toward Christianity is part of their own ‘freedom of religious expression’ of course?

1 Like

I understand how some of these developments could give you a negative view of all religion. and as an agnostic I’d prefer that our friends among the commenters who are believers would address this, but for what it’s worth I’ve found that what intelligent believers think isn’t the stereotypical childish faith in some Sky Daddy Camp Counselor with a list of arbitrary and insane rules about every little thing. That’s a small-minded person’s view; the more sophisticated acknowledge, like in the Book of Job, that any divine entity would be beyond the power of the human mind to comprehend. Another point: a Presbyterian church down the road from me just did a double ordination of a married lesbian couple. You wouldn’t want to conflate the small-minded, discriminatory, theocratic Dominionist fundies with these people—they’re worlds apart.

At any rate, the freedom to practice whatever religion gets you through the night is already enshrined in the First Amendment and doesn’t need much extra defense. The freedom to discriminate is not. See you in court, fundies.

9 Likes

I don’t patronize businesses with little fishes on their signs. If secular humanism is a religion, and they always say it is when they want to exclude it from someplace, well, good, now its free expression is protected, right? Perfect.

1 Like

The CEO’s words would be weightier if Apple produced anything in the United States. Maybe he should move the iPhone factory to a state that shares his opinions.

2 Likes

[quote]  So how do you think conservative pundits would respond if an Indiana business owner decided to ban anyone wearing a crucifix from his/her establishment … because intolerance toward Christianity is part of their own ‘freedom of religious expression’ of course?[/quote]I suspect the “good Christians” would respond with ropes and torches. Followed immediately with hot tar and chicken feathers.

This Religious Freedom defense is their last and best shot, and it’s failing miserably.Ha ha!
Cue primal rage scream.

But you could always go on a bar crawl with the rabbit.

1 Like

I received a thank you not from a seller on ebay from whom I’d bought something, and she wrote, “Thank you and God Bless you.” In my feedback I wrote “You’re welcome and dog bless you.” There’s nothing they hate more than not having their god taken seriously.

All religions rely on someone receiving secret messages that no one else can hear or understand. All of 'em. There aren’t enough insane asylums in the world.

Yeah, but he never picks up the tab.

1 Like

I know they mean well with the “Have a blessed day” and all but some of them can really get on your nerves. Years ago a friend of mine had a pretty dangerous case of breast cancer. When her more religious coworkers found out, they were all coming up and telling her they’d pray for her, and she’d say it wasn’t really necessary, and they’d insist, and she’d say “Well, if it makes you feel better.”

1 Like