Discussion: AOC Retained Talent Agency, Was In Talks To Write A Book

Hey, SOMEONE has to do the Mike Cernovich Fashion piece.

1 Like

ā€œā€¦the firebrand freshman lawmakerā€¦ā€

What thā€™ ? Really, Nicole? Too hot for you?

I mean, really?

2 Likes

Based on the fact that her life has been turned upside down and she has helped revitalize the left working within the system (as opposed to those who just want to tear things down).

She is also literally the most talked about person in right wing media, and the most abused person in right wing circles, which which isnā€™t because she has achieved absolutely nothing.

She hopefully has a lot more to accomplish over the next few decades of her life, but that doesnā€™t mean what she has done so far, how the political environment has been affected by her, and how she has become enemy #1 for the right wing media which has used every dirty trick to try and malign her (and unlike other Dems she has actually been able to turn the tables on them) doesnā€™t contain a story worth being told in itself.

6 Likes

Canā€™t argue with any of your calmly stated points.

5 Likes

The Daily Beast is a real news and analysis magazine, which covers much wider topic base than TPM.

. I am actually more disappointed by the frequency with which TPM regurgitates AP and POLITICO written exclusively to promote the narrative of Democratic disunity, than with any of the infrequent things here sourced from The Daily Beast.

4 Likes

Strike while the iron is hot!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the American way.

I guess I would just hope that any newbie to Congress, of any gender, color, or creed, would focus on the important tasks at hand, rather than diverting time to writing a book. But thatā€™s just meā€¦

2 Likes

The book I get - it would sell. The talent agency side of things makes no sense. I find that troubling. Unless its common for politicians to retain talent agents. It may be and I just donā€™t know.

I agree, but thereā€™s no denying her celebrity at this moment in time. Who knows where sheā€™ll be in a few years. Maybe plugging away on boring olā€™ policy, voted out of office, or in the Reeducation Camps with the rest of us after Trump declares himself Jesus 2.

1 Like

I read the her water melon margaritas really arenā€™t very goodā€¦she is really stingy with the tahiniā€¦

And we should be outraged about this because? It seems to be just about par for the course and writing a book is much more honest than taking money under the table the way a lot of politicians seem to do.

3 Likes

same hereā€¦ a talent agency? what talent is she promoting? dancing maybe? I will say to herā€¦ā€™ fake it ā€˜til you make itā€™

I know AOCā€™s district pretty well. I lived in the East Bronx and near the parts of her district in Queens. AOC did not open a district office until this month. Her connections to the Bronx are exaggerated. She lived in Parkchester until she was 5. Parkchester is a nice, solidly middle class neighborhood a long way from the Grand Concourse.

She grew up in toney Yorktown Heights, which is in Westchester, on a different planet from the Bronx culturally and economically. Yorktown Heights is 90.5% white and 5% Hispanic.

She recently claimed to have a Texas drawl because she comes from the Bronx and thatā€™s how people talk in the Bronx. One, only Texans who live in the Bronx speak that way. Second, having grown up in Westchester, she sounds like sheā€™s from there. She leans very heavily on the Bronx to define herself, which is just disingenuous, not to mention weird.

Nothing wrong with a suburbanite adopting the Bronx and running for Congress to represent the Bronx, but donā€™t claim to be a native.

She is certainly the first Member of Congress from Pelham Bay and Elmhurst to hire a talent agent. Why does a Congresswoman of 4 months experience need a talent agent? How does she find time to write a book when she has constituent services to provide?

Time will tell, but I question whether she gets a second term as a Member of Congress. Comments that this article turns TPM into a tabloid are bullshit.

This comment reminds me of Republicans criticizing AOC for riding in a car, shopping for furniture or wearing clothes because these were signs that she was a ā€œhypocriteā€.

4 Likes

How?

Write a successful book, set yourself up for life financially. Iā€™m twice her age and Iā€™d love to make 1/10 what I anticipate her book might make. As far as the talent agency part, you should usually let the professionals handle the appropriate part of any job.

A bit of a non-story as I canā€™t fault anyone for making a living as long as they try not to be hypocritical and as long as they donā€™t make a living in a way that hurts others, and I fail to see how this does that.

2 Likes

Every party has (and needs) Workhorses and Show Ponies and each member of Congress tends to be somewhere on that spectrum - the best members have the ability to be both and the sense to know when it is time to work and when it is time to show. AOC struck me out of the gates as 100% Show Pony, but her questioning of Cohen showed me that she has some Workhorse in her. She needs to decide how best to serve her country, district and ambition. If she listens to her constituents and to what I would characterize as a bit of ā€œtough loveā€ from Speaker Pelosi (D-Been there, done that), she will be fine, and potentially, a star. If she doesnā€™t, she could flame out. The right-wing Rā€™s have an extensive safety net for their flameouts, the progressive Dā€™s havenā€™t built out a safety net yet to the best of my knowledge.

She has chosen to be a high profile freshman and that is a high-risk strategy. I hope she succeeds because she brings a combative spirit and is willing to call the wingnuts out on their BS. I worry because she can be a loose cannon. If she writes a book, I hope it is a good one. If it is transparently a money making venture, she risks a tough primary challenge.

1 Like

And how is this news under any circumstance?

Yep. Another reason not to go prime

1 Like

Envious much

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available