Discussion: Angie's List Cites Anti-Gay Law In Halting Indiana Expansion

Discussion for article #234797

The blowback picks up speed.

5 Likes

I have no doubt that the proponents of the bill are now all feeling very smug in their imagined martyrdom and liken themselves to Christ up on the cross.

9 Likes

I love this! Even though I know the self-righteous crafters of these laws will try to portray themselves as the victims, money talks and they will eventually regret what they thought were shrewd political moves.

10 Likes

New Indiana constitutional amendment: “The freedom to be an asshole masked in Religion shall not be infringed”

5 Likes

R’Amen

3 Likes

The opponents of equality still don’t realize that their actions are what is helping equality to spread at such a rapid rate. Case in point: The Anti Gay Marriage laws. 10 years ago, the best that the supporters of equality could hope for were civil unions. Marriage equality wasn’t even on the table. Then the bigots over-reached, passing laws and constitutional amendments that not only outlawed gay marriage, but outlawed civil unions (the latter done out of pure spite).

As long as there were no constitutional issues on the books, the Federal Courts were not able to act. It was only after the unconstitutional laws were passed that the courts could get involved. The bigots sped up the process of full equality by 10-15 years.

19 Likes

And this is why I’m tolerant of the GWB appointment-by-SCOTUS in '00 and legal election in '04.
Had we not had the overstepping clusterf^ck of that administration-- it may have been decades before liberalism/progressivism arrived at this threshold; at this place in time.

This place, this time-- where acceleration of the demise of conservatism can be seen on the horizon.

To paraphrase Caribou Barbie:
‘I can see the dustbin-of-history from my front porch.’
And I’ll-be-damned if those aren’t Karl Rove’s legs sticking straight-out-the-top of it.

Doesn’t mean anything gets easier-- on the contrary-- it gets more difficult-- as actions and reactions will be more compressed on the timeline.

But it’s there for us to weather now-- for the betterment of those to follow.

jw1

8 Likes

Wouldn’t be the first time Karl was on his back, legs sticking straight up.

4 Likes

Thanks, Angie!

4 Likes

AntiSachetDeThe: I am not totally sure, but I may have ‘flagged’ your post – if so, it was a total accident and I apologize. My mouse was in need of fresh batteries and has been false-clicking for the last day. When it first happens, I am always stupid enough to ask myself, “What the fuck is going on?” Then little red light eventually starts. I tried checking and (from my screen) it looks like the post was not flagged, but the little screen that popped up just a minute ago suggested otherwise, asking me if I am sure I want to do so … then it disappeared. Again, I am so sorry if it went through. You are one of my more favorite commenters. I love this little skit. Dude kinda reminds me of Kimmy’s roommate on “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.”

Angie looks like Joni, and that’s probably where the similarity ends.

2 Likes

This simply rocks!

3 Likes

Likely so.
I’d venture Angie has never yelled Yeeeeehaw! – holding a welders-gloveful of severed testicles.

jw1

1 Like

http://www.kalanlp.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/thumbnail/600x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/g/mgfb321.jpg

1 Like

The project they’re cancelling was worth $40 million.

And they’re talking about moving out of Indiana altogether.

7 Likes

Joni’s a gift. Not the living, breathing oinking pol herself, but the concept of Joni

8 Likes

Can’t help but think that at one point in her childhood she put one of those breadbags over her head and left it on a bit too long.

1 Like

Arizona’s Jan Brewer figured out, almost too late, the finacial ramifications of such a bill, after the state’s legislature tried to pass this same type of law. Big and small businesses threatened to pull out, including the NFL’s Cardinals and the superbowl scheduled for Arizona that year. Money talks.

3 Likes