Discussion: Almost Every Single Trump Organization Is Under Investigation

I suppose the president should be protected from the hundreds of frivolous lawsuits his opponents could level at him (especially repugs at a D president), but should he be protected from prosecution for crimes investigated by the FBI? No no no.

3 Likes

It’s hard to believe anyone living in the radioactive event horizon Trump’s bottomless black hole -for 2 years!- could not be dirty.

3 Likes

A presidential library, hum? What the hell do you suppose would be in his library, writing in crayons, his signature? I quite frankly can not imagine such a place could exist.

3 Likes

Oh, you KNOW he’ll want a Presidential Library. It will be filled with those adoring velvet art paintings of him, and looping video of his old TV shows and beauty pageants, and statues, lots of statues. It will be the first purely visual Presidential Library.

And it will have to be bigger than Obama’s library. Way more bigly. He’ll want to charge admission too.

2 Likes

Except for Barron and Tiffany, almost every tRump is under investigation and, likely, facing serious legal jeopardy.

2 Likes

They’re just like him. Pilot fish to the 1% shark.

1 Like

You never know how much Rs are likely to change by the summer of 2020 when the campaigns for the Senate begin in earnest, and there are 20 of them up for reelection. They know how to read the handwriting on the wall, and if they read that support of the moron is going to sink them, they’ll ditch him. Right now even fellow Rs are abandoning him in small ways e.g. the senate vote of MBS and the Saudis making war in Yemen, and IMO their support won’t increase. He gets more toxic every day, and to even think about a job in the WH means being prepared to pay out legal fees.

3 Likes

Moi? Wrong? Never. But it’s all only my opinions, I have no inside track except to truly believe Pence can’t keep trumpp supporters.

4 Likes

Maybe an indication of the lack of support and enthusiasm for Pence is that no Rs in Congress are (yet) calling for moron’s impeachment. Pence will represent the failure of the party to have made a smarter choice in 2016.

4 Likes

Is that from Vampire’s Kiss?

1 Like

Now I need brain bleach…

2 Likes

Lindsey Graham who now worships at the altar said it himself.

7 Likes

In my view, Trump has about an 8 month window to negotiate a deal to leave office and avoid prosecution. After that time, we will be in the full swing of the 2020 election cycle and Dems would rather face an incumbent hobbled by low approval ratings, potential and actual indictments, multiple investigations, a faltering economy and unpopular policies than a new GOP nominee.

The Dems might do an impeachment for show, just as the GOP did in 1998 to tell their base they’re serious, as a politically paralyzed GOP Senate is unable to muster the votes to boot him from office or to convince him to resign. Such an impeachment would happen, if at all, in December 2019-March 2020 to give enough time for the nominee to run in the clear without having to answer questions about it while also freezing Pence and other potential contenders in their places.

I think this write-up vastly understates the danger Trump is in and the burden he faces in making choices about his own future, the future of his business empire and his children. We are talking about 2019 being the year of the perp walk. Multiple Trump associates are going to be indicted or cut deals. We are talking about the unraveling of a major illegal fundraising and bribery scandal as well as an illegal conspiracy to violate federal election laws. This is all likely to be revealed over the course of 2019. After about August 2019, Trump becomes the GOP’s problem to deal with.

18 Likes

And then it will become the fault of the SDNY office that they didn’t pick it up earlier. How was the GOP to realize that he was a snake, as the story goes? Surely if he were criminal, they would have nabbed him earlier.

1 Like

It’s late in the thread, we’re mostly done commenting, so I’d like to see you re-post it even in another thread because it sums it all up. Everyone needs to read this and take it to heart.

4 Likes

It will be interesting to see if trump can fundraise. All sorts of reasons for donors large and small not to give him money. I wonder how many of his small donors last time were legit.

3 Likes

I thought secret service for former presidents is mostly to keep national secrets safe. You wouldn’t want unsavory Russians beating information out of Trump would you?

Right. Nothing more than from his tapped phone.

1 Like

And just proving we really do live in a six degrees of separation world, it was Giuliani who hired Comey when he was a prosecutor in NY, and now he can’t stop trashing the guy.

Giuliani hired Comey in 1987 to work as an assistant US attorney in the Southern District of New York. At the time, Giuliani was the US attorney. They worked together from Comey’s hiring until Giuliani departed the office in 1989.

4 Likes

Secret Service protection for ex-Presidents and their spouse is written into the current law, I don’t think it was just to protect national secrets. Since he doesn’t read and apparently ignores the daily briefings, I doubt there are many national secrets floating around in his head anyway. And I’ll bet that the high-sec military and CIA/NSA advisers aren’t telling him everything anyway. They’re not stupid.

SS protection if he’s not impeached and removed from office does make incarceration problematic. Plus he gets all the other perks written into that ex-President law like paid office, paid staffers, diplomatic passport with immunity. Maybe he just won’t live long enough after this all goes down.

3 Likes

We know from Woodward’s book Fear that Gary Cohn, Goldman Sachs guy and early economic adviser, did something similar.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-04/cohn-lifted-papers-off-trump-desk-to-stop-nafta-exit-book-says

“Under orders from the president, Porter drafted a notification letter withdrawing from Nafta. But he and other advisers worried that it could trigger an economic and foreign relations crisis. So Porter consulted Cohn, who told him, according to Woodward: ‘I can stop this. I’ll just take the paper off his desk.’"

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available