Discussion: Alabama Bans 'Arthur' Episode With Gay Wedding

We’re going to have to hurry up because my impression is that plenty of gay couples have gotten married.

8 Likes

Thank FSM, that Alabama is blessed with absolutely no queers…

Oh wait…

(btw, what’s going on in South Dakota we don’t know about?)

3 Likes

Isn’t that clanship or in Alabama Klanship?

3 Likes

States can’t secede, but could they be evicted?

12 Likes

Or. Mr. Ratburn becoming a State Supreme Court judge…

3 Likes

With Alabama, I think the term would be “flushed”.

9 Likes

Gay people in Alabama are disconcerting. Sort of like meeting a person from Indiana free of STDs.

4 Likes

Hmmm. I’m forming a testable hypothesis right now. “There is substantial undercounting of LGBTQ citizens in red states.”

16 Likes

Alabama once again shows us why it is the West Virginia of the Old South.

There is a reason the Alabama law doesn’t have an exception for rape and incest, if it did then in practice they would not be banning any abortions at all.

5 Likes

Nice to meet you. Sort of.

1 Like

This is a frustrating and typical story whose impact is massively and irresponsibly distorted by exceptionally careless headline. C’mon TPM!

It’s not “Alabama” banning, it’s “Alabama Public Television.” And it’s not “banned,” they’re declining to air.

And y’know why? Because public television / public radio operate on the slimmest of slim break-even margins, and it would only take ONE Teahadist fatwa against “Tur Gayz Cartoonz” to sink their stations. They are in a no-win situation, and this headline is stupid and a distortion.

I’m speaking as a long-time public radio producer and host working in red or redder states. This is an incredibly difficult job and TPM just dumbed-down its complexity. #BeBetter, goddammit.

(Note: I don’t blame the writer–I blame the headline editor)

38 Likes

When are Bert and Ernie going to weigh in?

12 Likes

The only question is whether they’re in denial or in the closet.

1 Like

They learn to stay quiet. Cuts down on job dismissals, beatings, evictions, public beratings, party disinvites, church shunnings and just “Life is hell for me” in general.

5 Likes

If one of the characters molested a child, Alabama would have elected him to the Senate.

14 Likes

We’re supposed to be surprised by this? Really?

I remember when Mississippi wanted to ban “Sesame Street” in 1970 (yes, I am an aged fart).

From Wikipedia:

Sesame Street was not without its detractors, however. In May 1970, a state commission in Mississippi voted to exclude to host the show on its state educational TV network owing to concerns over the show’s inclusive racial message. A member of the commission told the New York Times, that “Mississippi was not yet ready” for the show’s integrated cast. (Joan Ganz) Cooney called the commission’s decision “a tragedy for both the white and black children of Mississippi”. The Mississippi commission later reversed its decision, after the vote had made national news.

11 Likes

And erected a stone monument on the Statehouse lawn in his honor.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Alabama is Elmer Fudd.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available