Discussion: Alabama Bans 'Arthur' Episode With Gay Wedding

Probably sometime after 1936, when the Rural Electrification Act was passed. And don’t forget Huntsville which has actual rocket scientists.

2 Likes

The folks in Alabama must be confused with “Of mice and men”.

Of course it was regressive and called out as such. It was also struck down. Being a CA native I can tell you we have probably suffered as many, if not more, inflammatory insults than most red states. Spare me.

2 Likes

I agree with you on the headline, terribly misleading and overly inflammatory.

That said, the decision not to air the episode was cowardly. It makes me wonder how much other self-censorship has/can/will go on at Alabama’s so-called public television if they are afraid of two gay cartoon rats getting married. If a similar programming decision were made where I live in Kentucky, we would immediately discontinue our monthly KET membership and find some other way to support public television nationally.

Ah yes, the famous Northern Alabama Space Agency, without which no NASA appropriations bill may pass. Staffed by yankees.

2 Likes

Jawohl !

And we appreciate every one of them. It turns out that every craft brewery in and around Huntsville was started by these engineering types.

Federal appropriations have made a huge difference across the entire South since the New Deal and WWII, lifting people out of poverty–the Northern Alabama Space Agency is just one example.

3 Likes

And furenors.
I keep thinking of the case of the Indian grandfather who was tackled by a Madison, AL police officer in 2014(?). The grandfather was in the US because his child was giving birth. The man was stopped by the police officer because a neighbor thought he was suspicious, he was taking a walk around the block his son lived on. When the grandfather wouldn’t answer the police officer, because he spoke no English, the officer threw him to the ground, and resulted in the grandfather becoming partially paralyzed. The tried the officer for brutality twice, but both time the jury wouldn’t/couldn’t convict.
What amazed me is the son was teaching/working at the University in Huntsville and police appeared not to know or be able to understand that foreign faculty, or their relatives may not understand English when it’s barked at them.

2 Likes

So if rocket fuel becomes hard to come by they have an alternative fuel on hand?

Thought question: do you know who consumes the most weekly hours of public television programming?

A: poor folks with kids who can’t afford extended cable.

so your “immediate discontinuation” would/will primarily and negatively impact poor kids.

4 Likes
2 Likes

I think the more troubling aspect should be the intermarriage across the species. (One is an “aardvark” and the other is a “rat” or something. I am using “quotation marks” purposely, because cartoons.

Amen! But Go Gators!

1 Like

Just noting, he’s been a member for 2.5 years and has had 27 posts–the only 2 this year have been on this topic.

1 Like

My father entered the Navy from San Francisco, so we were always California residents with California tags on our cars. Moved 16 times and lived in 12 states by the time I graduated and left home at 17. I’ve spent a lifetime being ridiculed all over the country for being a Californian.

I’m as sick and tired of the tropes about California as you are about those about Alabama.

1 Like

Dear Mr. Gorka,

The war for your culture took place between 1939 and 1945 (US involvement 1941-1945). Your side lost. Just thought you’d like to know.

Sincerely,

History

6 Likes

conservatives like Sebastian Gorka lamented that the cartoon wedding was “a war for our culture.”

And why shouldn’t war be waged against your bigoted culture?

Folks have a right to defend their home state, just like we have a right to pile on when an unfortunate stereotype happens. Every state has some redeeming qualities (ok, maybe not noo joisy).

Alabama to 21st century. We do have the internets you know.

1 Like

Reminds me of the Always Sunny episode where the inbred guy says his family’s bloodline has been pure for a thousand years…

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available