Discussion: After AL Abortion Ban's Bad Press, Some GOPers Change Tune On Abortion Access

Like all Southern Republicans, Tom Cotton really wants to impose a national ban on abortion on the rest of us, but he finds invoking State’s Rights just so irresistible.

About a year and a half ago I read a book about the battle of Franklin, TN, and one of the Confederate Generals who died there, his name was States Rights Gist.

BTW-I think Tom Cotton should also be forced to eat the 27 pound Krakus ham after giving birth to it. He looks kind of scrawny.

I would argue that pro choice means I’m not asking for the right to take away women’s personhood. So I’m reluctant to play this game of making up the most outrageous scenarios when I’d take it away or not.

1 Like

I am pro-choice, period.

That said, not a real big fan of Alabama to start with, so factor that into my next comment:

Instead of fighting the law in court as anticipated, let the forced-birthers stew in their own pot and see what it gets them, bet a lot of unwelcome and unanticipated results by those writing the laws

I am thinking of this approach as “using their won force against them”, like in karate, when they throw a punch, step out of the way, grad their arm, and use their own energy to throw them to the ground

caveat, I am totally full of shit almost always

1 Like

Republicans are terrified of Roe being overturned. They need to keep the issue alive in order to rile up the Evangelical rubes but the ferocious electoral backlash that would follow if the SCOTUS actually obliged would blow them out of the water and well they know it. It’s not going to happen. Roberts is far too focused on retaining what little remains of the court’s legitimacy to venture out on a limb that precarious.

Can Cohen just go ahead and leak the Trump abortion receipts so we can finally get the GOP base on board with a woman’s right to choose???

2 Likes

What if life began at the moment of ejaculation and the male was not allowed control of his own body. Bet ya there’d be a whole lotta exceptions baked in.

Now we start to separate the true cultists from the cowards. Those who think the new final solution is within reach and those who are starting to think maybe they’ve gone too far. Too late to rip those Party of Treason patches off, boys. Drink from your holy grail of hate and filth and enjoy.

We must re-establish a culture of life in America that reflects the value of every* life from conception through birth**, life***, and death

* Immigrants and pregnant women excluded

** pre-natal life not valued enough to guarantee quality pre-natal care for mother and fetus

*** value to be set at a level that does not: infringe on corporate decisions about working conditions, pollutants, or product safety; support universal access to heathcare; or suggest that a full-time worker deserves adequate nutrition and shelter.

2 Likes

picked this up off yahoooey!!!
Alabama, the second-worst state, has a median income of just $26,498. The southern state has above-average debt at graduation, uninsured adults, obesity, preventable hospital admissions, poverty, and incarceration.

stopping abortions won’t help either.
Jeffery leprechaun must be in the top 1% of alabameees

And to think pundits mocked John Kerry for saying he was for an issue before he was against it, all in reference to procedural points, not actual lawmaking. The bushies in particular made hay with it.

This is all anyone needs to know.

1 Like

One problem. The Party demands no exceptions for anyone anywhere.

Why compromise with people who are wrong?
-Newt Gingrich

Human excrement, one and all.

Two Romneys and a Giraffe walk into the RNC. A grotesque joke and a pervers legacy that even napalm could not burn away.

What the GOP doesn’t understand— 2018 was the overture. 2020 will be the Grand Aria as women say to the world “ we’re done asking politely for a seat at the table. We’re taking our seat, and bringing our friends, so you better make room. Oh, and this menu sucks; we’re rewriting it.”

1 Like

While I agree with that in principle, there are going to be a lot of women and children who will be not just in misery, but in real physical, psychological and emotional danger because of this idiotic and Unconstitutional law. Kay Ivey, there is a special place in Hell for women who would take away control from other women of their bodies and expose them to physical and mental illness

4 Likes

My concern is mathematical. Yes, yes, I see the trends and headlines, “Men BAD! Women GOOD!”, yet the numbers are indicative of a deeper truth.

We see that over 40% of registered voters choose never to vote at all, let’s assume slightly fewer than half of those are women. Of those who do show up on election day, about 40% of women voters consistently vote GOP. Together these are a majority of American women.

Statistics don’t lie. I’m not letting men off the hook, but since women make up the majority of voters in every election, Roe is endangered because they don’t overwhelmingly protect it.

Most men don’t even understand menstruation.

1 Like

I hesitated even posting the comment for those reasons

Don’t ever hesitate to say what’s on your mind — your post was very respectfully done, and I appreciate your viewpoint. The respect I think we have for each other (excluding the trolls, of course) on these one of the reasons I not only renewed my TPM subscription, but upgraded to TPM Prime AF.

Thank you all for being some of the most intelligent, thoughtful and hilarious bunch of political junkies to hang out with. Here’s to another year, everyone :clinking_glasses::clinking_glasses::clinking_glasses::tumbler_glass::tumbler_glass:

It sounded good except it’s real women’s personhood being denied. Not a game.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available