Discussion: 6-Year-Old Asks Obama To Let Him Host Syrian Boy From Viral Photo (VIDEO)

2 Likes

From the mouths of babes…

19 Likes

This made me well up.

“We will give him a family and he will be our brother.”

29 Likes

First tears of laughter with Zach and Hillary, now tears of (what word is it?) from this little boy. Great morning so far!

12 Likes

Kids seem to be able to wisely distill life into its common essentials - a family, a place to sleep, work (which for a six-year old is school), and some relaxation time. Too bad so many adults focus only on differences, and then view those differences as threats.

13 Likes

Funny, when a certain candidate approaches issues from the perspective of a six-year-old, it annoys and angers me. This kid moves me and makes my eyes tear-up.

I think I prefer beautiful and compassionate child over terrible and petulant man-child. I don’t suppose that will be controversial here.

15 Likes

“The humanity that a young child can display, who hasn’t learned to be cynical, or suspicious, or fearful of other people because of where they’re from, or how they look, or how they pray, and who just understands the notion of treating somebody that is like him with compassion, with kindness – we can all learn from Alex,” Obama said.

Obama was right, but this boy has parents who are raising him to be like this. Learned behavior…

Kudos to them all. (I think Daqneesh’s parents probably want to keep him with them, however, although they need a new home.)

10 Likes

Verklemmt would be the Yiddish.

8 Likes

I’m reminded of the scene from “To Kill a Mockingbird” where Scout is outside the jail talking to the angry mob who want to kill the innocent black man inside, and all she has to do to shame them is just talk to them. Call them by their names, ask them questions about their families and so on.

With this simple letter, talking about nothing more complicated than being friends with a stranger (and honest to goodness being excited about learning another language!), this real child has just shamed the entire Trump campaign, the Brexiters, the war machines of Russia and Syria and the last forty years of conservative talk radio. All in one fell swoop.

Great job, kid.

17 Likes

THIS is how one answers the bully in the schoolyard …

This morn… my heart is full … Thank you Alex —

10 Likes

this is how America is supposed to work… empathy and help…

if Cheeto Donnie had his way he’d have ICE vet the kid for 10 years and open a file on Alex…

12 Likes

Could we please replace HO with this fine young American?

Please make it so!

6 Likes

I suppose that this is too obvious to need mention, but saying that Trump acts like a six year old is an insult to six year olds.

13 Likes

I think you are being generous; the man you speak of is still living in “the terrible twos.”

4 Likes

Throat’s so tight it could crack a walnut right now. Fuck.

5 Likes

with kids like this growing up in this country …maybe we do have hope after all

10 Likes

Only when that Syrian kid has undergone “Extreme Vetting.” Which will take at least 6 years.

1 Like

I need to stop reading these at work…

6 Likes

All this dust in my eye from my very dusty onion-chopping station.

8 Likes

Seriously.

6 years old.

210 words.

315,000,000 people shamed.

11 Likes