Discussion: 146 Arrested In Immigration Raid At Ohio Meatpacking Plant

The CEO, Neil Genshaft, may want to reconsider his political donations…

https://www.opensecrets.org/donor-lookup/results?name=Neil+Genshaft&cycle=&state=OH&zip=&employ=&cand=

5 Likes

The workers, they arrest and charge instantly. The investigation of whether the company knew it was employing undocumented workers, that’s “ongoing”.

11 Likes

I’m just wondering how long it’ll take for the employers to be charged, since the last landscaping company has yet to be charged from a couple of weeks ago.

How long does it take to figure out that these companies were hiring illegals and, allegedly, not knowing about it?

I could go on about all the documentation I have to provide in order to work as a consultant in non-government businesses. But I won’t.

10 Likes

They’re also charging the workers with identity theft, which probably means making up or otherwise acquiring a social security number

2 Likes

There goes the cost of the US food supply.

2 Likes

No criminal charges have been filed against Fresh Mark

Also too, fucking AP - no arrests were made of Fresh Mark management, after a “year-long investigation”.

8 Likes

And how many from management were arrested?

7 Likes

Article says it was looking in to that possibility. I would be surprised if they did, because a background check (to which I am ALWAYS subject during new employment) would have revealed the discrepancy.

The government could go a long way in reducing illegal immigration if the government would make examples out of these companies that hire illegal immigrants. If one shuts off the demand, the supply will continue to decrease.

4 Likes

Of course it could, but that would be contrary to the entire point of the current policy framework. The idea is to have a population of unofficial “guest workers” who can be paid less than the legal minimum wage, forced to work under conditions that would be unlawful for documented workers, and then discarded at any time their presence becomes inconvenient. The companies are the victims here. Keep telling yourself that.

I don’t even think they would have to do much to discourage companies. Just arrest the top half-dozen managers in HR, on a friday so they have to spend the weekend in jail before arraignment and bail. And get a warrant for the past 5 years of personnel records. Securing convictions would be nice, but even getting charged would be a big, big deal.

4 Likes

Where will the bacon come from?
I’m sure the fine responsible owners and chamber of commerce members will gladly replace them with decently paid union labor.

1 Like

Why the focus on Ohio?

2 Likes

That is the first thing that came to my mind, too.

2 Likes

How many company officials who were involved in the hiring process arrested? Unlike illegal drugs where attacking the supply side does little, the illegal immigration problem in the U?S. Can be addressed by attacking the demand side. Oh wait!! If that approach is used then businesses won’t be able to exploit poor people.

1 Like

Kasich is tepidly anti-Trump?

2 Likes

Hoping to see visuals on the evening news of MAGA hat-wearing, white trash trump voters lining up for the new job openings at the meatpacking plant…

2 Likes

Don’t hang by the neck, waiting.

2 Likes

No criminal charges have been filed against Fresh Mark …

… or any other GOP donors.

1 Like

If you don’t jail the employers it will just continue.
But here’s a great idea - for every immigrant worker deported they must be replaced at the same salary by a deplorable on disablity.
Well there’s West Virginia’s jobs program.

1 Like

I went to a chicken processing plant in OH that used to employ a lot of Amish folks, but hispanics would work for lower wages, so now pretty much all the workers are hispanic. The Amish refused to work for the lower wages. These raids might be happening in areas of OH with high Amish populations.

1 Like