Discussion: 1 Dead After Southwest Airlines Plane Makes Emergency Landing In Philly

Absolutely horrifying. Guess we don’t need any regulations in Trump’s America as long as the stock market goes up.

3 Likes

Yikes!

Still true, though, that the most dangerous part of the trip is driving to and from the airport.

8 Likes

Jesus. They landed one in a bad storm the other night and everybody thought they were going to die.

What the fuck - they’ve been such a good airline.

And why now? I’m due to spend 11 hours on a plane Saturday to Sunday. At least it’s not Southwest

1 Like

Good job by the flight crew!

5 Likes

I’m glad there was only one fatality, probably a heart attack.

“I literally bought WiFi as the plane was going down because I wanted to be able to reach the people I loved…thinking these were my final moments on earth.”
— Southwest Flight 1380 passenger Marty Martinez, on Facebook

I sure hope Marty gets a refund for the overpriced wifi.

ETA http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1671386/Dramatic-chatter-Southwest-flight-1380-pilot-ATC.html

2 Likes

Oh dear. A blemish on Trump’s flawless aviation record…

5 Likes

I am too of course. What an awful accident.

2 Likes

As more and more Airline maintenance gets pushed off to places like Guatemala, the Philippines, and Malaysia, you will see more and more of this.
The incidence of fake parts on airplanes is getting bad, where the contracted maintenance company can charge $25,000 for a part they paid $5000 for on the grey market and neither the Airline nor you will ever know about it.
Fake parts is rampant in electronics repair on the airlines and in other industries too.
If the airline does not do it’s own maintenance in the USA I won’t fly on them domestically.
Internationally, you are pretty much screwed as there is no way to tell where or how well the maintenance it performed.
Southwest used to do all their own maintenance, but the last time I flew them was 7 years ago.
This could have been a simple metal fatigue in a fan blade, which is not uncommon, but it happens with how much airlines push the aircraft now. They have cut the maintenance to the bare minimum both in number of checks, and time spent in the depot, to keep the planes flying because a plane on the ground doesn’t make any money.

3 Likes

I had a turbo explode on a big rig once. It was essentially a bomb going off. I can’t imagine what an engine with that amount of thrust would sound like.

Egads!

2 Likes

It still does, in Dallas.

Since its founding in 1967, Southwest has maintained an excellent safety record: There have been a few accidents, but not a single passenger has died as a result of an accident. This is a spectacular record when you consider that Southwest has operated for nearly 50 years and currently operates approximately 1.3 million flights per year.
[source: https://thepointsguy.com/2016/06/25-airlines-without-a-major-accident/]

4 Likes

“By the Shadow of Death, but he’s a lightning pilot!”

- - Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi  Chap 7

Twain, of course was talking about a river boat pilot, but those pilots were the counterparts of our commercial airline pilots today. In this incident described by Twain, a pilot does an extraordinary bit of piloting in the dead of night and with a group of deadheading pilots watching it all.

2 Likes

“Tracking data from FlightAware.com shows Flight 1380 was heading west over New York’s southern tier at about 32,200 feet”

The aircraft was nowhere near the “southern tier” of NY State. It was east of Harrisburg PA when the engine let go. They chose to land in PHL because they needed time to descend and PHL is better equipped for Southwest.
Listened to the ATC recording - everyone did their jobs well.

2 Likes

One important thing to note is that the captain of the plane is a woman, not a man, and she was very cool and professional through the entire ordeal. The copilot is a man, and he sounded a bit shaken as they came in for landing.

It’s also important to remember that this is the first airline death in 9 years in US airspace, and that’s in spite of events like this happening (engines do come apart from time to time, with perhaps the cowling coming off but that’s about it). The NTSB is going to be taking a close look at this, odds are manufacturers and airlines will be required to change some procedures and inspect all of the same model engines. It’s possible this is just a freak accident where a fan blade was thrown and it hit a weak point which crated shrapnel, but it may be something else. They will figure it out, it will just take some time to do the investigating.

They were still climbing so the seat belt sign was likely still on…reports are of a big bang and some smoke (which could have been just dust from the shake and atmospheric condensation with the decompression). Seven people were hurt, probably by flying debris…anyone out of their seat probably would have been tossed around a bit. Good lesson here to make sure you stay belted in.

6 Likes

Can you provide references to that information?

1 Like

Let’s be clear - the engine blew while over New York, which means it’s clearly the fault of the DemonCrats! /s

2 Likes

It was east of Harrisburg PA when the engine broke. The total flight time over NY was leaving LaGuardia and crossing Manhattan entering NJ.
:grin:

1 Like

then you’re kinda screwed. My brother works as an engineer for one of the engine manufacturers and they now have repair/maintenace hubs set up in Taiwan and several other countries. They’ve also outsources much of their design engineering work to Poland. For many domestic airlines, they contract back the repair and maintenance work, which they then promptly ship out to Asia.

There are a still a few who have this in-house and in-country, but it’s getting rarer and rarer. Last I heard, United still does work in San Francisco (new a couple of folks who did engineering and repairs there) but if your best chance is United, well - get your dog a “Service Vest” and wear a mouth guard a all times while in the cabin! :frowning:

2 Likes

Hey, this is Donnie Dumbnuts we’re imitating here - since when do facts matter!?! :smile:

I have flown Southwest since the mid 70s at least. I have a few gritches starting with the lack of foot room over the last several years. But I am comfortable with their safety record and attitude. I figure if I go down in a 737, considering the number of flight hours the various models have, it is meant to be.

1 Like