Discussion: 1 Dead, 3 Wounded In Shooting At Northern Arizona University

Discussion for article #241581

Jesus christ another one already!?!

Waiting for McCain to come out in favor of more guns on campuses!!

Are we sure it is another one or just street or domestic violence of the ordinary kind constantly glorified by the local press? Wonder if the tv crew got there before the police?\

We live in a country of over 300,000,000 people. Thirty thousand die from gun violence every year. Of those 20,000 are suicides and 10,000 are homicide victims. Ten thousand divided by 365 is about 28 murders a day. There are video crews dispatched to each. Each of those video reports is designed to scare the crap out of viewers. You can take the reports of the 28 daily gun violence murders and scare the shit out of people.

What people don’t want to acknowledge is the number of gun deaths, while terribly high, per capita have actually been on the decline during the last decades. Bad as things are now, they were worse. What has changed? I don’t know. The people who have monetized murder from the NRA to the mainstream media don’t want to find out nor do they care.

2 Likes

AZ, 1am gun buy gone bad…

Drug buy gone bad perhaps.

Why don’t people acknowledge that? Because it’s not true.
http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states

4 Likes

Maybe we should study this to formulate some approach that might reduce it.

Oh, wait…

5 Likes

Not the most usable web site I’ve ever seen, but point taken.

They have been on the decline in Australia though. I wonder why?

Thanks for the link!

1 Like

So why didn’t those being shot at just rush the shooter?

Cowards!

[Ben Carson giggle]

3 Likes

I believe we may be approaching critical mass…

Best to stay at home, avoid public places, avoid shopping, or anyplace where people congregate. Not out of fear, out of simple caution. It’s becoming obvious that there’s no safe place when there are strangers who might have guns are present.

If that became the conventional ‘wisdom’ I bet that would get the attention of the oligarchs!

The answer is just on the tip of my tongue…

1 Like

Some oligarchs would feel the pinch. Airline owners, brick-and-mortar store owners. Others would not: Jeff Bezos, flEa-Bay, UPS, Fed-Ex, etc.

We are social creatures by nature. We are the ones who will suffer.

Funny, that’s not what the NRA is telling us. It’s not what the GOP is telling us. BTW, trying to sweep 20,000 gun-related deaths under the rug isn’t a good look.

He actually had a good comment for a change. Concerned the families and spoke to his concern for them

I didn’t find the American year to year statistics on that site, but I am right over the last decades the US homicide rate while very high, has been declining.

1 Like

Carson said if Jews in Europe had had guns it would have diminished the Holocaust.
I think I’ll go back to bed. It’s early here yet (6:30 AM). Maybe reality will prevail when I return.

What are the statistics for accidental shootings?

Wayne LaPierre of the NRA has the solution:

The NRA: Killing Our Children Since 1871

“And remember: The only way you’ll get a politician to oppose the NRA is to pry him from the NRA’s cold, dead hands.”

6 Likes

Flagstaff isn’t downtown Detroit. It’s small town USA. The shooting happened in a parking lot next to Delta Chi Frat house near the campus of NAU. The shooter was 18yrs old. At the risk of sounding like our house expert (we all know who I mean)…the details aren’t all known yet. At least that is what the head NAU cop just said on CNN.The local cops had to wait for daylight to really process the scene.