Defense Dept. Loosens Strict Requirements For Treatment On Navy Hospital Ship

This afternoon’s presser: “It isn’t a ship for sick people who don’t have Corona but need hospitalization…”

2 Likes

Two sleazy people by dawn’s early light
And too much in grift to say goodnight.

5 Likes

So, you come upon a man at death’s door due to dehydration. Lost in the forest, a camping trip. He’s immobile on the forest floor. After a brief conversation you find out he has a home, paid off, in the city, and $100,000 in the bank. You tell him if he gives you all of it he can have some water, and then you’ll transport him to a local hospital. Otherwise he can take a pass on the offer, and pray like hell someone else comes along.

Capitalism.

2 Likes

The problem was, you couldn’t be sent to the ship until you had tested negative for COVID. I don’t know how long it takes to run the test, but some people have to wait 7 days for a result. If you show up to an ER, you probably don’t have that kind of time to wait for treatment, so being forced to wait for a negative test result from the hospital lab which is desperately overrun with waiting testing kits, where testing kits are even available, is the same thing as saying you can’t go to this ship.

5 Likes

Anything to not do Obama care. Sure this will go without a hitch……NOT

My understanding is an agreement was reached where Comfort was to take on nonCoVid patients to relieve hospital of chronically ill, from jump.

The Navy said that to decontaminate a ship was huge reason not to houseCoVid patients.

I get that. So, it appears that NYC does not have hundreds of chronically ill, COPD, diabetes, asthma, cardiac & stroke patients to fill Comfort. Understandable.

This is why Jacob Javits with 2K beds was initially designated for NON CoV patients. It now has been designated for CoV patients.

The military has not been willing to place those who defend our national security at risk by providing medical service to those with CoV.

That is understandable. What if our enemies decide to attack us now when we are vulnerable? Will our troops be unable to because 20% are dealing with CoV themselves?

This is a very strategic balance between placing our defense at risk & deploying help.

I am frightened. I can see this as Pearl Harbor moment when 90% of US fleet was there prime for picking!

We must see both sides. I want help for all but not if it means we will not be ready fromNational Security standpoint.

I am siding with military readiness for ANY perceived vulnerability an enemy may see as reason to strategically attack now.

If our Navy ships become decontaminated without time to decontaminate our entire national safety will be at risk of soldiers ill while trying valiantly to defend us.

There are no easy answers.

But if the doubling of the hourly rate doesn’t go to the worker but to the agency…?

1 Like

And I get your point, but I wonder what the admissions/transfers paperwork was like to get the non-COVID-19 chronically ill to the ship was like? If hospitals are over run, who will have the time to pull together the patient’s medical history and files?

2 Likes

announced on Friday that it would ease the process of allowing patients to receive care on the USNS Comfort emergency hospital ship

Took a f**king public shaming to get to this point. WTF is wrong with these people?

3 Likes

I know you’re not in Houston, but the hospitals there are filling up and the local C19 stats aren’t reflecting that.

Dr. Peter Hotez, an infectious disease expert and dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, said the disconnect between the number of positive test results and the number of people hospitalized for COVID-19 suggests that a significant majority of coronavirus cases are going undetected here.

“We know that about 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 COVID-19 patients needs to be hospitalized, so what you’re seeing in hospital admissions would suggest that the actual number of cases could be 5 to 10 times higher in Texas than what’s been reported to this point.”
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/houston-hasn-t-reported-surge-coronavirus-cases-its-hospitals-tell-n1175291

4 Likes

No I"m in Dallas and they are busy trying to get ready for the tsunami they know is coming. They just extended our lockdown until May 20.

All my gratitude goes to our County Judge Clay Jenkins. He’s fabulous but all his hard work will be as for nothing if the rest of the state doesn’t get serious.

6 Likes

This is the same ship that sat at anchor in Puerto Rico and only took on a few patients. I never saw a report as to how many patients were treated on this ship including the number of days it was sitting at anchor. I always was surprised that the press did not look into it. General Honore in Puerto Rico started to make a few critical comments and suddenly he was disappeared from covering the situation by CNN. Now he shown up on MSNBC - a good man now seemingly censored.

2 Likes

And don’t forget it’ll take probably a week for the HMO to sign off on care. Just pray the ship isn’t considered out of network. Isn’t our healthcare system just peachy?

4 Likes

Speaking of republicans being dangerous for Americans, they are trying to kill the Affordable Care Act and separate millions of unemployed people from health insurance in the middle of a pandemic.

Why aren’t the democrats announcing this from the highest mountain??

3 Likes

That’s exactly how it works, if the guy is going to die why do he wants 100K in the bank?

That is the same reason why anti-venom for scorpion sting can up cost 50K in Arizona, but it’s free in any rural clinic in Mexico.

1 Like

It’s a hospital ship, not an aircraft carrier.

4 Likes

Which result makes more sense? Could it be that capitalism and medicine aren’t perfectly compatible?

1 Like

If those nurses aren’t getting the PPE they must have (and they aren’t), then I don’t blame them. They’re putting their lives on the line. NYC nurses held a protest outside of Mt. Sinai today because of the lack of PPE. One said that if they die or otherwise can’t take care of patients, those sick people will be on their own.

1 Like

Now now, don’t forget he’s killing immigrants at the border too - plus a couple of children - give credit where credit is due.

Capitalism, price gauging. You say tomato. I say to-mah-to.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available