Cuomo Reminds McConnell That KY Takes More Money Than NY: ‘Who’s Getting Bailed Out Here?’

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) reminded Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) on Thursday that for all his trash talk about “blue state bailouts,” the GOP leader’s state is the one that reaps the benefits of New York’s payments to Uncle Sam.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1305643
2 Likes

Nancy Pelosi could not have said this any better.

No, really, Nancy Pelosi could not have said this, any better.

29 Likes

OMG! Good on you Cuomo, calling a spade a spade and a jerk a jerk!!!:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

67 Likes

More Rethugs in disarray! (and it’s not even Infrastructure Week!)

“To say that it is ‘free money’ to provide funds for cops, firefighters and healthcare workers makes McConnell the Marie Antoinette of the Senate.”

73 Likes

You go Cuomo! Cuomo’s actions this spring illustrate that saying, the cream rises to the top. He’s been such a strong and focused leader. Unlike some people…

35 Likes
3 Likes

Good. Remind the rural people of KY, that if it was not for the infrastructure investment made possible by the rich cities on the coasts, they would not be any better off than farmers in Poland or Ukraine.

70 Likes

Kentucky is #5 on the list of states sucking from the federal teet. New York is #25.

38 Likes

While it will have no effect on McConnell, who, I believe, suffers from some serious psychological issues of his own, I’m so glad Governor Cuomo articulated this for the benefit of red state denizens who are probably ignorant of this fact.

It needs to be repeated over and over again.

68 Likes

They take blue state money, then act like they’re the real Americans?

Fuck that. Seriously, no more being nice about this.

50 Likes

Maybe she can, but she as a majority to protect in November, she doesn’t want to offend anyone unnecessarily, and yes those moochers in KY are very sensitive.

17 Likes

Be-a-u-ti-ful, but he really did have a whole lot more to say about McConnell that’s worth posting too, TPM. The way Mitch has politicized this entire crisis at this time. Cuomo’s takedown of Mitch was a tour de force from start to finish. The rest of his briefing…eh, it was alright.

37 Likes

Kudos to Cuomo, but my money says that Grumpy Mitch is extremely aware that Kentucky gets more than its fair share from the US treasury.

17 Likes

Cuomo is speaking an obvious truth, but it is one of many that the national media cannot acknowledge. It is very frustrating that they prioritize branding over truth. No serious person can point out that red states are generally net takers and blue states net contributors; that Republicans favor deficit financed tax cuts over public debt reduction; that their support of the troops extends only to large contractors and not to, you know, the actual troops…

If you want to be taken seriously in a national conversation, you must reinforce the brands of politicians and ignore their actions. Only a child or a fool can point out that the emperor has no clothes.

26 Likes

"'Now, gentlemen, I will tell you, what it is; I have thousands of applications like this every day, but we cannot satisfy all for this reason, that these positions are like office seekers–there are too many pigs for the teats.'

“The ladies who were listening to the conversation placed their handkerchiefs to their faces and turned away. But the joke of ‘Old Abe’ put us all in a good humor. We then left the presence of the greatest and most just man who ever lived to fill the Presidential chair.’”

(from Lincoln’s Yarns and Stories , by Colonel Alexander K. McClure)

8 Likes

Of course he is. But Cuomo’s been getting a lot of exposure and airtime recently, so having him speak up about it will get a lot more earballs than if someone else says it, and it really needed to be explicitly said, especially after the “blue state bailouts” line.

53 Likes

This is so welcome here to show a little push back from Pelosi and Cuomo. Otherwise, it’s tRump, his enablers and Covid all the time and I’m sick of reading the nonsense. Give us hope!!!

24 Likes

Oh snap! Good on ya Governor!

14 Likes

The feasibility study for partition continues.

25 Likes

We’re not interested in solving their pension problems for them.

Oh, we know! You’re not even interested in solving KY’s massive pension problem for us, your own freaking constituents.

64 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available