Coverup Complete: Trump Commutes Roger Stone’s Prison Sentence | Talking Points Memo

The White House announced Friday that President Trump is commuting the prison sentence of his longtime friend and sometimes campaign advisor Roger Stone, the culmination of a scheme one federal judge called a coverup for the President.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1319947
1 Like

Just in time for the Friday night news dump. And it’s a huge Trump dump, alright.

51 Likes

I somehow think that karma might still find a way to kick Roger Stone’s wrinkled twisted ass.

53 Likes

Would someone please explain to me what the difference is between “commute” v “pardon?”

10 Likes

He’s still a convicted felon. Of course, he’ll wear it as a badge of honor.

33 Likes

Pardon you acknowledge that you’re guilty.

25 Likes

This lash out is bound to lash back, for both of them.

27 Likes

How so? Example please?

1 Like

So a “commute” wipes the slate clean?

2 Likes

Is someone in the Trump orbit ( Lindsay Graham etc.) going to stand up?

9 Likes

Mysterious ways I suppose. Just a feeling I have based on the pattern we’ve all watched the last 4 years.

7 Likes

Pardon is the equivalent of never convicted, and your record is wiped clean. Commutation of sentence means you were still convicted and it’s on your record, but you don’t have to serve all or the rest of the jail time.

31 Likes

So is this a complete pardon where Stone doesn’t even have to serve house arrest or do community service?

2 Likes

Why do you suppose Trump chose not to pardon?

8 Likes

Looking like that would be punishment enough in most cases. But in my obviously reflexive and involuntarily optimistic way I see one small good thing here, which is Stone couldn’t look innocent if he denied having kidnaped the Lindbergh baby. He just reeks of what he is, and he’ll make one hell of a good campaign ad about this obvious, blatant obstruction of justice.

50 Likes

The party’s rot is complete, absolute. This is the face of the party. Americans, burn it to the ground and salt the earth.

57 Likes

It’s an election year and a Trump is supposed to be all for “law and order.” Except when it comes to his family and friends.

42 Likes

Pardon : means completely absolving the person of the crime and letting him go free. The pardoned criminal will be like a normal citizen. Commutation: means changing the type of punishment given to the guilty into a less harsh one, for example, a death penalty commuted to a life sentence .

19 Likes

It’s not going to help Stone all that much. He’ll stay of jail but be isolated, broke and untouchable none the less. No one is going to hire him or consult with him. He’ll stay broke and alone. As far as Trump thinking this a clever way out of political blow-back that’s just silly.

33 Likes

This is the government this fucked up shithole country deserves. Thanks to the 40% who stayed home with their thumbs up their asses because they didn’t get the candidate they wanted, or voted for Putin’s butt boy Stein.

27 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available