Controversial Academic Named To Census Panel In Waning Days Of Trump | Talking Points Memo

Thomas Brunell — a controversial redistricting researcher who was floated and then withdrawn from consideration to lead the Census Bureau earlier in the Trump administration — has been named to an advisory committee for the census, according to a person familiar with the appointment.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1346131
1 Like

Can soon-to-be President Biden fire this joker?

8 Likes

No need to fire him. Just disband the committee then create a different advisory committee without the joker.

17 Likes

Just another last second appointment meant to cause dysfunction in the Biden administration. I suspect a lot of effort will be wasted working around these jokers for the next couple of years, and finding ways to push them out of the government. Ironically, Biden may use some Trump tactics to get rid of the worst…Republicans will howl, but they deserve a taste of what Trump did to the government.

This kind of interference will be annoying but not too much trouble, the Biden administration can just choose to ignore nonsense advice. It will be worse if the Republicans and Trump manage to put out some serious land mines, like a military adventure or trade policy, that really hamstrings Biden. We’re less than two months away from being rid of the Trump administration now, and it just can’t come soon enough.

10 Likes

Why the fuck is this allowed? Why should he be treated like a king?:

6 Likes

There is precedent. Lame Duck Bush 41 sent troops to Somalia in Dec. '92. It was a terrible idea, and I thought at the time he did it just to fuck with Clinton.

8 Likes

“Thomas Brunell — a controversial redistricting researcher who was floated and then withdrawn from consideration to lead the Census Bureau earlier in the Trump administration — has been named to an advisory committee for the census…”

I’m actually a bit relieved.

I thought for sure it was gonna be that dead guy with the hard drive that Kobach loved.

11 Likes

13 Likes

“I know the best people.”
— Dr. Cadet Toadglans mit der Bone Spurs von Queens

5 Likes

Trump is doing America a favor by exposing worthless POSs.
If Trump picks them Biden and Friends know who needs to disappear on a certain January morning.

4 Likes

These particular officials serve three-year terms by default, at the discretion of the Director of the Census Bureau.

6 Likes

What’s good for General Motors …

6 Likes

At what point does Donald Trump’s actions aimed at undermining American governance become treason?

7 Likes

Brunell’s term on the committee will last until November 2023.

During which time his advice can be completely ignored.

4 Likes

trump’s attitude toward the alternative energy industry is perhaps the most glaring example of his complete lack of business acumen. The opportunities are vast, and he can’t see past the bribes coming from the fossil fuel sector.

8 Likes

K. P.

5 Likes

Easier than you would think. It’s time to set up the Turkey Farms. It may not be possible to fire a lot of these people, but there’s nothing that prevents them from being reassigned to other duties. As long as you’re not reducing their grade or pay, they really can’t bitch about it.

So what do you do? You set up an office that has no particular responsibilities. You set them to work doing something utterly menial and meaningless. You provide them with no resources whatsoever - if you can get away with it, not even computers or phones. But you insist that they abide by the regulations, showing up for work on time, taking no more than 30 minutes for lunch, and not leaving early. Any infractions get written up, and they’re presented with a “performance improvement plan.”

They don’t last long.

14 Likes

Keep your enemies close. Could be useful to have the inside look at what he comes up with

2 Likes

The GSA will authorize the transition. Trump bends the knee.

9 Likes

I reckon several months prior to January 20, 2017.

6 Likes